“Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
Published: 11:22 AM, 9 November 2019 Updated: 02:18 PM, 9 November 2019
The very severe cyclonic storm “Bulbul” is likely to cross West Bengal-Khulna coast (near Sunderban) by this evening, said a Met Office special weather bulletin issued on Saturday morning.
According to the bulletin, "The very severe cyclonic storm "Bulbul” over northwest bay and adjoining area moved north-northeastwards and now lies over the same area and was centred at 09:00 am today about 490 km west-southwest of Chattogram port, 480 km west-southwest of Cox’s Bazar port, 310 km southwest of Mongla port and 335 km southwest of Payra port."
"It is likely to move in a north/northeasterly direction and may cross West Bengal- Khulna coast (near Sunderban) by this evening. Under it’s peripheral influence gusty/squally wind may affect the maritime ports, north bay and coastal areas of Bangladesh from noon today," it added.
Met Office said that maximum sustained wind speed within 74 km of the very severe cyclone centre is about 130 kph rising to 150 kph in gusts/squalls. Sea will remain very high near the very severe cyclone centre.
Meanwhile, maritime ports of Mongla and Payra have been advised to lower danger signal number seven but instead hoist great danger signal number 10. Coastal districts of Bhola, Borguna, Patuakhali, Barishal, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagherhat, Khulna, Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars will come under great danger signal number 10.
The maritime port of Chattogram has been advised to lower danger signal number six but instead, hoist great danger signal number 9. Coastal districts of Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur and their offshore islands and chars will come under great danger signal number 9.
The maritime port of Cox’s Bazar has been advised to keep hoisted local warning signal number 4.
The coastal districts of Khulna, Satkhira, Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur, Borguna, Patuakhali, Barisal, Bhola, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagerhat and their offshore islands and chars are likely to experience wind speed up to 100-120 kph in gusts or squalls with heavy to very heavy falls during the passage of the storm.
Under the influence of the very severe cyclonic storm “Bulbul” and the moon phase, the low-lying areas of the coastal districts of Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur, Borguna, Bhola, Patuakhali, Barishal, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagherhat, Khulna, Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars are likely to be inundated by storm surge of 5-7 feet height above normal astronomical tide.
All fishing boats and trawlers over north bay have been advised to remain in shelter till further notice.
- Taiwan records its first coronavirus death as global toll passes
- Students must lead to build drug-free society: Menon
- Qatar keen to recruit skilled manpower from Bangladesh
- Central Zone sniffs victory with Shanto’s double century
- Singapore expatriate wife leaves home over coronavirus panic
- Meeting between Managing Directors of DSE, CSE
- ‘Basic Concept of Islamic Banking’ workshop held
- Bandits kill 30 in northwest Nigeria attack: police
- Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
- Interest rates reduced in Post Office saving schemes
- College-boy killed in Lalmonirhat road accident
- Russian solder proposes using 16 tanks
- 2 doctors killed in Tangail road crash
- Perfect weight according to height
- 2 motorcyclist killed in Sunamganj road crash
- How much salt needed to lose weight?
- Bkash agent killed in Jashore road crash
- Sharif joins housing and public works ministry
- Arvind Kejriwal takes oath
- 50,000 people suffer for lack of bridge
- Legal procedures to follow for Khaleda`s parole: Anisul
- Two killed in Tangail road accident
- Yasir hits career-best knock as North Zone takes lead
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Accused in multiple cases in Sirajganj detained
- Husband with arms, wife having bullets detained
- Motorcyclist killed in Kushtia road crash
- Haven`t received Khaleda Zia`s parole appel: Kamal
- Six World Cup-winning U-19 players in BCB XI
- Bogura-1, Jashore-6 and CCC polls Mar 29
- All News »
- Massacre in Thailand: Killer army shot dead
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Bangladesh clinch maiden U-19 World Cup
- Soldier who killed 26 in Thailand shot dead
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- Bangladesh under pressure as Bishnoi strikes thrice
- Soumya to get married this month
- Young Tigers to face India
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Teacher jailed for providing cheat sheets
- Soumya with future wife
- Young Tigers need 178-run to win WC
- Bangladesh-India XIs in U-19 final
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Avishek hunts India first
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666