“Bulbul” may hit this evening
Published: 09:05 AM, 9 November 2019 Updated: 11:28 AM, 9 November 2019
The very severe cyclonic storm “Bulbul” is likely to hit the country’s coastal area on Saturday evening, said Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD).
The cyclonic storm over the northwest bay and adjoining area moved further northwards and now lies over the same area, said a Met Office special weather bulletin issued this morning.
“Bulbul” was centred at 6:00 am today about 525 km southwest of Chattogram port, 510 km southwest of Cox’s Bazar port, 350 km southwest of Mongla port and 375 km southwest of Payra port, said the bulletin, adding that it is likely to move in a north or northeasterly direction and may cross West Bengal-Khulna coast (near Sunderban) by this evening.
Under its peripheral influence, gusty/squally wind may affect the maritime ports, north bay and coastal areas of Bangladesh from noon today. Maximum sustained wind speed within 74 km of the very severe cyclone centre is about 130 kph rising to 150 kph in gusts/squalls.
Sea will remain very high near the very severe cyclone centre. Maritime ports of Mongla and Payra have been advised to lower danger signal number seven but instead, hoist great danger signal number 10. Coastal districts of Bhola, Borguna, Patuakhali, Barishal, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagherhat, Khulna, Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars will come under great danger signal number 10.
The maritime port of Chattogram has been advised to lower danger signal number six but instead, hoist great danger signal number 9. Coastal districts of Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur and their offshore islands and chars will come under great danger signal number 9.
The maritime port of Cox’s Bazar has been advised to keep hoisted local warning signal number 4.
The coastal districts of Khulna, Satkhira, Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur, Borguna, Patuakhali, Barisal, Bhola, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagerhat and their offshore islands and chars are likely to experience wind speed up to 100-120 kph in gusts or squalls with heavy to very heavy falls during the passage of the storm.
Under the influence of the very severe cyclonic storm “Bulbul” and the moon phase, the low-lying areas of the coastal districts of Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur, Borguna, Bhola, Patuakhali, Barishal, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagherhat, Khulna, Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars are likely to be inundated by storm surge of 5-7 feet height above normal astronomical tide.
All fishing boats and trawlers over north bay have been advised to remain in shelter till further notice.
- Ethiopia to unveil referendum results on new state on Saturday
- Road accidents kill 2 in Ctg
- Probe body formed over Munshiganj road crash
- NU 1st year degree exams to begin Nov 24
- Parash to be the chairman of Jubo League!
- Helper killed in Cumilla bus-pickup collision
- MP Bubly expelled from Awami League
- Kohli, bowlers put India in command
- Ebadat removes Pujara, 3 down for India
- 18 held for giving proxy in NSI recruitment test
- ‘Unnecessary’ overseas tours of govt officers
- BNP`s movement issue no more exists: Quader
- DU to introduce online service on Dec 1
- Bus service resumes in Jashore
- ‘Violent conflict likely if Rohingya crisis not resolved’
- Concussed Liton, Nayeem replaced by Miraz, Taijul
- New onion in the market for Tk 60
- Let`s make healthy ‘Spinach-mushrooms’
- Syria war kills 29,000 children
- 21 yrs old become the youngest judge in India
- Munshiganj fatal road crash: Identity of 9 found
- Female UP member occupied farmer’s land
- Bangladesh’s first concussion replacement in test cricket
- Fatal road crash in Munshiganj leaves 10 dead
- Ishant takes a fifer, Bangladesh all out for 106
- Global participants showcase community health workers’ role
- Colombia anti-government protesters clash with police
- Historic Shat Gombuj Masjid increases revenue income
- 559 dengue patients hospitalized in country
- 70 gold bars seized at Ctg airport
- All News »
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Graduation at 9!
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- International Men’s Day today
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft
- 5 dead in Bolivia clashes challenging interim govt
- Delightful 2nd day of Dhaka Int’l Folk fest today
- 2.5-km to be visible
- PM joins gleaming Dubai air show
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft this evening
- Nusrat Jahan at ICU