Buhari re-elected as Nigerian president
Published: 12:33 PM, 27 February 2019 Updated: 03:15 PM, 27 February 2019
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has been re-elected for a second four-year term, declared the electoral commission in the early hours of Wednesday.
The 76-year-old defeated his main rival, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, with a margin of nearly four million votes.
However, Abubakar's People's Democratic Party (PDP) has rejected the result. Turnout was 35.6%.
Delays and violence marred the run-up to Saturday's poll but no independent observer has cited electoral fraud.
Buhari's All Progressives Congress (APC) won in 19 of the 36 states while the PDP was victorious in 17 states and in the capital, Abuja, according to the electoral commission (Inec).
"The new administration will intensify its efforts in security, restructuring the economy and fighting corruption," Mr Buhari said after his victory was officially announced.
The APC had 15.2 million votes while the PDP had 11.3 million.
Some supporters of Buhari took to the streets late on Tuesday in celebration.
Buhari, a former soldier, led a military regime for 20 months in the 1980s and was first elected president in 2015, becoming the first opposition candidate to defeat an incumbent and win the presidency.
His record in office is mixed. Buhari's critics say that the very attributes that won over voters four years ago - his strictness and inflexibility - have emerged as liabilities. They accuse him of autocratic leanings as well as a disastrous tendency towards inaction.
Buhari's supporters can argue that he has largely delivered on campaign pledges such as tackling corruption and cracking down on Boko Haram. But they may struggle to point to concrete achievements in other fields, such as fixing the economy. - BBC
- German arms export freeze on Saudi Arabia extended
- 6 arrested in Bagha border with Indian citizens
- Argentina court approves hijab!
- Finally suspension order of Zinia withdrawn
- 60 marks exam must to be BCL leaders
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- Tree plantation program held at IU
- Rabab Fatima appointed Bangladesh’s envoy to UN
- Dope test for bus drivers from Dec 1
- Ashura reminds Islam is integral part of the Abrahamic tradition
- CIP cards handover to 182 businessmen
- Bangladesh in Tri-Nation T20 final
- Bangladesh Bank upsurges ADR
- BSEC approves Standard Bank’s bond
- Fire in Liberia’s school kills over 27 children
- ‘Independent supreme court’ of Facebook
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Iran threatens to invade US with all
- Kashmiris night out on trees in raid panic
- Tea: wonderful natural beauty elements
- Vulgar message from Popy`s ID!
- Pakistan refuses Modi’s German flight over land
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Tigers post 175/7 against Zimbabwe
- Solution to disputes with GP, Robi in 3 weeks: FnM
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Marriage in police station after rape: OC Obaidul dismissed
- Ira Khan casts brother Junaid to debut play Medea
- Mehazabien reacted on social media
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- ‘Mayaboti’ to release 22 theaters tomorrow
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Jennifer Lopez steals money and shows in ‘Hustlers’
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- ACC director Yusuf’s wife burnt in fire dies