British man becomes 1st to fly around the world on a gyrocopter
Published: 11:44 PM, 23 September 2019
A British adventurer has become the first person to circumnavigate the globe on a gyrocopter, completing a six-month journey that saw him narrowly escape a lightning strike on Sunday.
James Ketchell traveled 24,000 nautical miles on the miniature aircraft, whose cockpit is exposed to the elements.
He landed at an airport in Hampshire, England on Sunday in front of a crowd of well-wishers.
The 37-year-old's aircraft had a range of just 700 nautical miles and a maximum speed of 70 knots, meaning his journey was completed in several short installments.
He traversed mainland Europe and Russia before crossing into Canada and the United States, flying over Greenland and Iceland and stopping for the final time on the Faroe Islands, north of Scotland.
"It's quite overwhelming, it's magical," Ketchell told the PA news agency after landing. "I have seen many amazing sights over the last six months. Probably one of the best is flying into Popham," he said, referring to the airport at which his journey began and ended.
"It's an incredible feeling and I just hope that I manage to achieve my challenge and inspire as many people as I can," he added.
The journey is far from Ketchell's only feat. He has already rowed across the Atlantic Ocean, climbed Mount Everest and cycled 18,000 miles around the world, according to a press release from his representatives.
A gyrocopter, also known as a gyroplane or an autogyro, is a small helicopter-like aircraft powered by a propeller on its rear rather than blades on its top.
Ketchell's journey allowed him remarkable bird's eye views of sites across the globe. He shared some of the most remarkable fly-bys on his social media profiles including an image of him floating over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
But the journey also featured a handful of hairy moments.
"I was almost struck by lightning and had to attempt an emergency landing on the road," he told PA of an incident in Canada.
The explorer added that he was pleased it was raining when he landed for the final time. "It shows people that it's not that simple, flying around the world," he explained.
- DNCC to introduce 333 service
- 713 dengue patients undergoing treatment in country
- The voyage home: Japan’s Hayabusa-2 probe to head for Earth
- Govt plans 12pc power from renewable sources
- Ranga under fire in parliament
- Chahar picks up another T20 triple in 3 days
- 2nd int’l symposium on community health workers Nov 22-24
- Yabas of crore taka recovered
- JS passes Bangladesh Flag Vessels (Protection) Bill
- President approves February vote in turbulent Guinea
- Rebels kill 5 in DR Congo as army offensive rages
- China aims to build its own Yellowstone on Tibetan plateau
- Train claims a meritorious girl
- Shakib could be handy for us: Mithun
- Khulna rail under threat of syndicate
- Folk Fest-19 begins Thursday
- Kabil Ali made Chattogram bowling coach
- BGB crushes drug worth 2 cr
- Fuad returns
- India’s likely XI for 1st Test against Bangladesh
- Pedestrian killed in Faridpur road crash
- ‘Nation will not forgive who make derogatory remarks over PM’
- Non-fiction book fair begins at DU
- IU ‘A’ unit entry test result published
- Must label Israeli settlement products: EU Court
- ACC interrogates Partex chairman
- All NCL matches end in draw
- Onion price under control: Minster
- Tk 268 cr damage in agriculture caused by Cyclone ‘Bulbul’
- Tajul urges WB to increase support in development
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- What’s Tahsan doing now?
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ heads towards Bangladesh
- Tahsan’s realize after 7yrs
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- ‘Construction work of Bangabandhu Railway Bridge from 2020’
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- Voter registration for expats starts today
- Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool to play tonight
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Al-Baghdadi’s sister, five children captured
- Rifat murder: Bail plea of two dropped from hearing list
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM