British diplomat arrested in Iran
Published: 12:12 PM, 12 January 2020
Rob Macaire was held for three hours, in what the UK described as a "flagrant violation of international law", according to BBC.
It is understood he was attending a vigil for those who died in the crash, which turned into a protest.
He left to make his way back to the UK embassy but was arrested as he stopped at a barbershop for a haircut.
In a statement, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said: "The arrest of our Ambassador in Tehran without grounds or explanation is a flagrant violation of international law
"The Iranian government is at a crossroads moment. It can continue its march towards pariah status with all the political and economic isolation that entails, or take steps to deescalate tensions and engage in a diplomatic path forward."
The Iranian Etemad newspaper shared a picture of the ambassador on Twitter after the Tasnim news agency reported his arrest.
Iranian media claimed Mr Macaire was accused of inciting anti-government protests.
Iran has said Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 was shot down due to "human error" and there were demonstrations in Tehran and other cities on Saturday as people gathered to commemorate those who died.
Earlier, the UK prime minister said Iran's admission was an "important first step" and called for an investigation into the "tragic accident".
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- Experience the world with Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- 6 of same family receive burn injury in Sirajganj
- Sheikh Hasina pushes country forward, others retreat
- Malaysia to form new government!
- Fake BGB member detained in Dinajpur
- Carter Center delegation calls on Chief Information Commissioner
- Qatar expat Bangladeshi`s body found in friend`s refrigerator!
- 3 held with yaba in DU residential building
- 4 detained with phensidyl in Sirajganj
- President asks Army to get ready for supreme sacrifice
- Youth held in anti-narcotic drive in Sylhet
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- 1 detained with weed in Cumilla
- Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran
- Officials have to reach farmers’ doors: Abdur Razzak
- South Zone in command as Farhad hits ton
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation
- 2 CoU students join SAUFEST-2020
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in Rangpur
- DMP detained 54 in anti-narcotic drive
- Handsome salary for less educated!
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Capital
- Youth detained with yaba in Manikganj
- 1 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- Two rookies in ODI squad
- GP pays Tk 1,000 crore to BTRC
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar