Brexit deal is doomed, senior Tory warns
Published: 09:36 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 09:36 PM, 27 November 2018
Theresa May's Brexit deal is "doomed" and must be renegotiated, ex-defence secretary Sir Michael Fallon has said.
Sir Michael launched a scathing attack on the proposed EU agreement, saying it was the "worst of all worlds" and the PM's future was "up to colleagues".
The prime minister is visiting Wales and Northern Ireland to argue her deal will bring certainty to business.
DUP leader Arlene Foster told BBC News the trip was a "waste of time" as Parliament would not support her deal.
Mrs Foster, whose party has a parliamentary pact with the Conservatives to support the government, said Mrs May had "given up" on trying to secure a better deal for Northern Ireland.
While people were "fed up" with the Brexit process dragging on, that was not a good enough reason "to accept what's on the table", she told the BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg.
Parliament will vote on whether to accept or reject the terms of the UK's withdrawal and future relations negotiated by Mrs May on 11 December.
Sir Michael's decision to come out against the deal is a blow to the prime minister, who is struggling to muster support in Parliament for it.
Labour, the Lib Dems, the SNP and the Democratic Unionists have said they will vote against the deal while many Tories have said publicly they are opposed.
Opponents of the deal say it will keep the UK too closely tied to EU rules and make it harder to strike future trade deals with other countries and minimise their value.
US President Donald Trump has suggested the withdrawal agreement "sounds like a great deal for the EU" and might hamper a future trade deal with the UK but Mrs May said this was not the case.
- Bangladesh move 8 notches on Democracy Index
- Child killed in Laxmipur road crash
- Bangladesh take on Burundi in 2nd semifinal tomorrow
- Greece elects first woman president
- S Korean army to discharge transgender soldier
- MP’s son hospitalised after drinking ‘Harpic’
- Paoli Dam in ‘Mahanayika’s role
- Man sentenced to 8 months in jail for killing dog
- Students’ love for Bangabandhu
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
- Badda lynching case: Probe report Feb 20
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- 48 held in anti-narcotics drive in capital
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
- Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
- Bone-chilling cold in Kurigram, mercury falls to 7.2°C
- Rohingya Genocide: ICJ to announce verdict tomorrow
- Death toll hits 9 with 440 coronavirus cases: China
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhiya fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- China’s new virus likely to spread around
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Arrest warrant against Prothom Alo Editor