Brexit deal is doomed, senior Tory warns
Published: 09:36 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 09:36 PM, 27 November 2018
Theresa May's Brexit deal is "doomed" and must be renegotiated, ex-defence secretary Sir Michael Fallon has said.
Sir Michael launched a scathing attack on the proposed EU agreement, saying it was the "worst of all worlds" and the PM's future was "up to colleagues".
The prime minister is visiting Wales and Northern Ireland to argue her deal will bring certainty to business.
DUP leader Arlene Foster told BBC News the trip was a "waste of time" as Parliament would not support her deal.
Mrs Foster, whose party has a parliamentary pact with the Conservatives to support the government, said Mrs May had "given up" on trying to secure a better deal for Northern Ireland.
While people were "fed up" with the Brexit process dragging on, that was not a good enough reason "to accept what's on the table", she told the BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg.
Parliament will vote on whether to accept or reject the terms of the UK's withdrawal and future relations negotiated by Mrs May on 11 December.
Sir Michael's decision to come out against the deal is a blow to the prime minister, who is struggling to muster support in Parliament for it.
Labour, the Lib Dems, the SNP and the Democratic Unionists have said they will vote against the deal while many Tories have said publicly they are opposed.
Opponents of the deal say it will keep the UK too closely tied to EU rules and make it harder to strike future trade deals with other countries and minimise their value.
US President Donald Trump has suggested the withdrawal agreement "sounds like a great deal for the EU" and might hamper a future trade deal with the UK but Mrs May said this was not the case.
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad shifted in Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-1)
- Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban
- Saudi Arabia calls urgent meetings over Gulf tensions
- Telenor health observes World Hypertension Day 2019
- Bangladesh fretful over Gulf’s oil establishments attack
- Indictment hearing in Niko graft case deferred again
- Khaleda to be shifted at country’s first Women’s Prison
- Modi quits meditation finally
- Republican calls for Trump impeachment
- 5 Rohingyas held with Bangladeshi PP in Dhaka airport
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- Rajshahi mango to be available from May 15
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- HC asks to remove 52 adulterated products by 10 days
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- EVMs to be used in 6 UZs in last phases of polls
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Six more Bangladeshi missing
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- No sabotage threat over ‘Buddha Purnima’ fest
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Obaidul Quader to return home May 15
- Bangabandhu Satellites’ 1st launching anniv today
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Decomposed bodies of woman, son, daughter found
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader returns home this evening
- Quader to join his office today
- Mahbubul A Khalid’s songs on Mother’s Day
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- ‘Steps taken to rehabilitate prisoners’
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22