Brain-eating Amoeba in water kills 6-year-old...

Dhaka, Friday   23 October 2020

Brain-eating Amoeba in water kills 6-year-old

 International Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 11:41 AM, 29 September 2020   Updated: 12:14 PM, 29 September 2020

Photo: Collected

Photo: Collected

A six-year-old boy died after being infected with a brain-eating amoeba that was later found in his community's water supply. 

Following the death, the governor of Texas in the United States has issued a disaster declaration. 

US media reported that the child named Josiah McIntyre died on September 8 following an infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that breeds in the warm, fresh water of lakes and rivers and of poorly maintained swimming pools. 

The amoeba enters the body through the nasal membranes and penetrates to the brain, causing powerful migraine, hyperthermia, stiff neck and vomiting, then dizziness, extreme fatigue, confusion and hallucinations, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP). 

A spokesman for the town of Lake Jackson said that testing revealed traces of the amoeba in the tap of the garden hose at the boy's house.

Traces were also found in a fountain in the town centre and in a fire hydrant in a town just one hour away from the major city of Houston, said Modesto Mundo, a city official.

David Gonzalez’s twitter post

Grandparents of Josiah McIntyre told the Houston Chronicle that he might have been exposed to contaminated water while he was playing in a splash park downtown, shortly before he fell ill.

The splash park has since been closed and several towns in Brazoria county, where Lake Jackson is located, advised residents to avoid using tap water for drinking, bathing or cooking.

That advice has since been lifted but authorities are urging residents to boil water before using it.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration on Sunday for Brazoria County, which includes Lake Jackson. The declaration allows authorities to use extra state resources due to an emergency.

Between 1983 and 2010, Texan health authorities have attributed 28 deaths to the amoeba Naegleria fowleri. -AFP

DailyBangladesh/AN/AS