Boca-River Libertadores final will be played in Madrid
Published: 11:53 AM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 11:53 AM, 30 November 2018
The rearranged Copa Libertadores final second leg between Boca Juniors and River Plate will be played in Madrid on December 9, South American soccer's governing body CONMEBOL said on Thursday.
Earlier, Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had said his country would be willing to host the game.
The match was called off last Saturday when visiting Boca's bus was attacked while on its way to Argentine rival River's stadium, and several players were injured.
Fearing more violence, organizers decided earlier this week the game should be played in another country.
"In Spain we find the necessary tranquility... Madrid is the 10th safest city in the world and it has the largest Argentine community in Europe," CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez said on Thursday. "I don't think the essence of the Libertadores will be lost because the game will be played in Spain."
Dominguez added the game would be staged at Real Madrid's Bernabeu stadium at 8:30 pm Spanish time, and that Boca and River fans would be allowed in.
South American soccer's governing body rejected a request by Boca to be declared winners, but has fined River $400,000 and ordered the club to play the next two CONMEBOL games behind closed doors.
The first leg ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Cox’s Bazar
- FM reaffirms for Rohingya send back
- Homemade delicious Beef Kala Bhuna
- China remains with Myanmar on Rohingya issue
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Treatment and medicine at Tk 5 only!
- Noble to fly for US
- RAB rescues abducted man from remote area, 4 held
- UNHCR praises Bangladesh
- Debiganj UNO office assistant killed in road crash
- Indian Cricket Board getting richer
- Day temp likely to fall (1-2) °C
- China’s hypersonic DF-17: Threat for regional stability
- Bede couple dies of snakebite in Satkhira
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- World Mosquito Day today
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon