Boca-River Libertadores final will be played in Madrid
Published: 11:53 AM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 11:53 AM, 30 November 2018
The rearranged Copa Libertadores final second leg between Boca Juniors and River Plate will be played in Madrid on December 9, South American soccer's governing body CONMEBOL said on Thursday.
Earlier, Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had said his country would be willing to host the game.
The match was called off last Saturday when visiting Boca's bus was attacked while on its way to Argentine rival River's stadium, and several players were injured.
Fearing more violence, organizers decided earlier this week the game should be played in another country.
"In Spain we find the necessary tranquility... Madrid is the 10th safest city in the world and it has the largest Argentine community in Europe," CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez said on Thursday. "I don't think the essence of the Libertadores will be lost because the game will be played in Spain."
Dominguez added the game would be staged at Real Madrid's Bernabeu stadium at 8:30 pm Spanish time, and that Boca and River fans would be allowed in.
South American soccer's governing body rejected a request by Boca to be declared winners, but has fined River $400,000 and ordered the club to play the next two CONMEBOL games behind closed doors.
The first leg ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- New China virus: pharmaceuticals fear amid risk of infection
- U-19 CWC: Japan faces India today
- Drug trader killed in Khilkhet gunfight
- 3 consecutive rocket attack near US Embassy
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- HC stays Primary recruitment test result of 14 districts
- Youth wants Mir’s daughter number!
- Miller encourages voters to cast votes
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU