Blast at Afghan news agency office, kills 40
Published: 02:20 PM, 28 December 2017 Updated: 01:02 PM, 30 December 2017
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least 40 people were killed and 30 wounded in a suicide attack on the Afghan Voice news agency in a western area of the Afghan capital, Kabul on Thursday, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.
The interior ministry said, the suicide blast was followed by another two explosions in the area.
Images on social media showed a number of bodies in a courtyard following the blast.
Deputy interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said, "The target of the attack was the Tabayan cultural centre. A ceremony was being held to mark the 38th anniversary of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan when the explosion went off."
A number of students were reportedly attending a discussion forum with media group members at the offices.
The head of Afghan Press, the media branch of the Shia organisation, told that so far dozens of bodies had been carried from the building and officials have reported dozens more being brought to hospitals.
No-one has yet said they were behind the attack, but the Taliban issued a statement denying any involvement.
In recent months, middle east base militant group Islamic State (ISIS) has been carrying out attacks on Shia targets across the country. In October, at least 39 people were killed in an attack on a mosque belonging to the Shia minority.
- Motorcyclist killed in Sylhet road crash
- College student dies of dengue in Shariatpur
- Griezmann hits two to seal Barca`s first La Liga win
- Floods kill 62 in Sudan
- Today’s sports on TV
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don’t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- I am half Sindhi, half Peshawar: Sonam Kapoor
- No bar to publish 9th wage board gazette