Biz leaders, MPs to Amazon: please come back to NY
Published: 04:02 PM, 1 March 2019
Top business leaders, lawmakers and others are urging Amazon chief executive Jeff Bezos to reconsider his decision not to move forward with plans for a new headquarters in New York, to build an “exciting future” for the city.
In an open letter to appear in Friday’s edition of The New York Times, the 80-odd signatories — from bank CEOs to church leaders and the head of US airline JetBlue — acknowledged the “rough” public debate that thwarted the project, but chalked it up to “New York charm.”
In mid-February, Amazon abandoned its plans for a new headquarters in New York, to be located in the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens, blaming opposition from community leaders angry at the huge subsidies on offer.
“New York attracts the best, most diverse talent from across the globe. We are a dynamic new center of the country’s most inclusive tech economy,” the open letter said.
“We all hope you reconsider and join us in building the exciting future of New York.”
They said the online retail giant’s proposed New York campus would be a “tremendous benefit to residents and small businesses in the surrounding communities.”
Also on the list of signatories are several current members of Congress representing New York.
Long Island City was one of two locations chosen last year for Amazon’s so- called “HQ2” — the other project in the suburbs of the US capital Washington will move forward.
The online retail giant had promised the sprawling complex would create 25,000 jobs in New York — and possibly 40,000 by 2034 — in exchange for nearly $3 billion in state and city incentives.
The New York plan had been endorsed by Mayor Bill De Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo.
But it ran into fierce opposition from some local politicians and community activists, including newly elected Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whose district borders the New York site.
But those who signed the open letter wrote: “A clear majority of New Yorkers support this project and were disappointed by your decision not to proceed.”
The letter says Cuomo would “take personal responsibility” for getting state approval of the project.
The New York Times has reported that Cuomo, a Democrat, has had several meetings with Amazon leaders in a bid to reverse the decision.
Amazon did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the letter.
- Neymar rounding into form as Marseille give chase
- 22 executed in US this year
- 4 detained with yaba in Teknaf
- Mobile internet cut in Meghalaya, curfew in Shillong
- European media criticizes Myanmar State Councilor
- Decision on Rohingya genocide soon: ICJ president
- UK Election: Johnson ahead of the booth return survey
- BPL: Rajshahi, Sylhet, Dhaka, Cumilla to play today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- Indian entrepreneurs urged to invest in Bangladesh
- Britain votes in ‘Brexit election’
- BB new Executive Director Kazi Enayet Hossain
- 1 killed in Munshiganj wall collapse
- Twitter backs overhaul of social media to stem disinformation
- 2 killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Mashrafe focuses on next game
- 1 dies as workers continue hunger strike
- ‘Corruption in education sector will be eliminated’
- ‘No event under open sky on 31st night’
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now