Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
Published: 12:40 PM, 20 June 2019 Updated: 03:38 PM, 20 June 2019
The 108th birth anniversary of late poet Sufia Kamal, a pioneer in movement for women emancipation, is being observed across the country on Thursday.
She was born on June 20, 1911, in Shayestabad Nawab family in Barisal.
On the occasion of her birth anniversary, President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have issued separate messages paying profound respect to the memory of renowned poet Sufia Kamal. They prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of the poet.
Different social and cultural organisations have taken various programmes marking the anniversary.
Sufia Kamal, who was the founder president of Bangladesh Mahila Parishad, had struggled throughout her life for the emancipation of women from prejudice. Her struggle was for establishing a society with equal rights of men and women.
She also had an active role in the movement against banning Tagore songs by Pakistan government in 1961, language movement in 1952, non-cooperation movement and the Liberation War in 1971 and all democratic and cultural movements in the country.
Her remarkable works are ‘Sanjher Maya, ‘Maya Kajal’, ‘Mon O Jibon’, ‘Shanti O Pranthana,’ ‘Udatto Brithibi’ and ‘Diwan’.
In recognition of her works, she was awarded Bangla Academy Literary Award for Literature (1962), Lenin Centenary Jubilee Medal (1970) from the Soviet Union, Ekushey Padak (1976), Czechoslovakia Medal (1986), Jatyo Kabita Parishad Award (1995), Begum Rokeya Medal (1996), Deshbandhu CR Das Gold Medal (1996), Independence Day Award (1997).
Begum Sufia Kamal died in Dhaka on November 20 in 1999 and was the first woman to be given a state funeral in Bangladesh.
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- A woman: Dancer to detective
- Humayun Ahmed`s 7th death anniv today
- Bernard topped Bill Gates on Rich List
- ICC debarred Zimbabwe
- PM flies to London
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM flies to London tomorrow
- DC conference: Vast responsibility, directives
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- HC’s directive to dispose woman, child repression case in 180 day
- Navy got ‘National Fisheries Award’19 Gold medal
- Boat hats in Manikganj
- 8000 cattle ready for Qurbani market
- Shakib in Cricinfo’s XI; not Kohli
- Beauty of Tanguar Haor in Monsoon
- Illegal expats to return home paying TK 14 thou
- Two sisters drowned in Tangail
- UN chief concerns over Rohingya crisis
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death