Bird fair held at JU
Published: 08:40 PM, 11 January 2019 Updated: 09:39 PM, 11 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Bird Fair-2019 was held today on the Jahangirnagar University (JU) campus amid festive mood.
JU Zoology Department in collaboration with Wild Life Rescue Center (WLRC), Bangladesh Bird Club and Aronnok Foundation organized the fair with a view to raising mass awareness to conserve birds in the environment.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Farzana Islam inaugurated the fair as the chief guest by releasing balloons at the Zahir Raihan auditorium premises of the university.
Addressing the inaugural session, she said, “Birds and other wild animals have an indispensable role in the ecosystem of the environment as they protect the ecological balance. So, we should protect birds as well as other wild animals and we all have to work together for the conservation of birds.”
She urged to come forward all communities of the society for conserving birds in the environment and expected to continue such events in every year.
Presided over by convener of JU Zoology Department Prof Kamrul Hasan, eminent ornithologist Dr Enam Al Haque, founder of Birds Club of Bangladesh and Rakibul Amin, country representative of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) addressed the function as special guests, among others.
A total of seven researchers and media reporters were awarded in different categories for the contribution in bird conservation in this year. Prof Farzana Islam handed over the awards to the winners at the inaugural session.
Later, different types of event such as inter-university bird identification competition, stalls decoration competition, debate competition on conserving birds, drawing competition for children, bird watching competition through a telescope, quiz competition, discussion and a cultural session relating to birds held on the daylong fair.
Students of different schools, colleges and universities took part at their respective events at the fair.
Meanwhile, thousands of visitors were amused by witnessing birds here on the campus.
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Bogura-6 by-election underway
- Death toll rises to 5 in Kulaura train crash
- Pirate leader killed in gunfight
- "Huge" blast rocks military hospital in Pakistan
- Tigers face Afghanistan today
- Train crash: 4-member probe committee formed
- Four killed in Kulaura train crash
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia