Bir Protik Taramon Bibi passes away
Published: 09:51 AM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 03:02 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Taramon Bibi, a Bir Protik, passed away at her home at Shankar Madhobpur village in Rajibpur Upazila of Kurigram early Saturday. She was 62.
The war heroine, who had been suffering from respiratory problems, breathed her last around 1:30 am, said her son Abu Taher.
Taher said her mother received treatment at the Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka last month as her condition had deteriorated.
She left behind husband, one son and a daughter, and a host of relatives and well-wishers to mourn her death.
Taramon Bibi was one of the two female freedom fighters in Bangladesh obtaining the Bir Protik award as she had engaged in direct combat during the Liberation War in 1971.
Taramon had joined Mukti Bahini, a guerrilla force, that fought against the Pakistani occupation force, during the Liberation War.
She had fought in Sector 11 under the leadership of sector commander Abu Taher.
After the war, Taramon was awarded Bir Protik by the government. But her whereabouts were unknown and the award was never handed over to her.
She herself remained unaware of this until 1995 when a researcher from Mymensingh discovered her. Taramon was finally given her award by the Prime Minister on December 19, 1995.
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Cox’s Bazar
- FM reaffirms for Rohingya send back
- Homemade delicious Beef Kala Bhuna
- China remains with Myanmar on Rohingya issue
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Treatment and medicine at Tk 5 only!
- Noble to fly for US
- RAB rescues abducted man from remote area, 4 held
- UNHCR praises Bangladesh
- Debiganj UNO office assistant killed in road crash
- Indian Cricket Board getting richer
- Day temp likely to fall (1-2) °C
- China’s hypersonic DF-17: Threat for regional stability
- Bede couple dies of snakebite in Satkhira
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- World Mosquito Day today
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon