Biman hijacker killed in commando operation
Published: 10:01 PM, 24 February 2019
Maj Gen Motiur Rahman; Photo; Collected
Commandos of Bangladesh Army have killed the hijacker of Dubai bound Biman Bangladesh Airlines flight carrier at Chattogram airport in just eight minutes. Besides all passengers and crew members were safely evacuated of the aircraft. The situation is normal now.
“It was a swift operation. We didn’t even have the time to name the operation,” said Maj Gen Motiur Rahman, GOC of Chattogram, said.
“The operation ended in eight minutes,” he said in a post-operation briefing at the premises of Shah Amanat International Airport this evening.
According to what he said, the hijacker claimed himself as Mahadi, 25, and wanted to talk to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and his wife.
“We tried to talk to him, but he took an attacking position. Our commandos had to move swiftly. They took action. He was brought out injured, but later died,” Maj Gen Rahman said.
“He had a pistol with him,” the army officer said.
Initially, a cabin crew member spotted the suspicious behaviour of a passenger and reported it to the authorities, said Civil Aviation Secretary Mohibul Haque.
“The pilot made an emergency landing. All the passengers were evacuated,” he said.
All the while, the members of law enforcing agencies surrounded the aircraft and the airport; and evacuated all the passengers safely.
At around 7:25pm, the hijacker was apprehended in an injured condition.
- Coronavirus hits more Middle East countries
- Trump announces defence deal with India
- Papiya placed on 15-day remand
- Police becomes barrier to treatment of Rickshaw puller’s mother
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on Mar 22
- Trump visits Taj Mahal
- Young girl crushed under train in Lalmonirhat
- Yunusur Rahman made DSE chairman
- Mahathir becomes interim PM
- Trump forgets Gandhi at Gandhi’s Ashram
- PM urges Japan to investment in power sector
- No one will escape committing crime: Quader
- 12 Jailed for carrying marijuana in Jamalpur
- India seal comfortable victory over Bangladesh
- Rapist detained after 18 yrs of rape
- RU also denies joining uniform admission test
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- DU says not to uniform entry test
- Case against 9 brick kilns of Gaibandha
- Bangladesh restrict India to 142
- Coronavirus: 7 died, 763 infected in South Korea
- Mushfiqur tops Tamim to become leading run-scorer
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire