Biman hijacker killed in commando operation
Published: 10:01 PM, 24 February 2019
Maj Gen Motiur Rahman; Photo; Collected
Commandos of Bangladesh Army have killed the hijacker of Dubai bound Biman Bangladesh Airlines flight carrier at Chattogram airport in just eight minutes. Besides all passengers and crew members were safely evacuated of the aircraft. The situation is normal now.
“It was a swift operation. We didn’t even have the time to name the operation,” said Maj Gen Motiur Rahman, GOC of Chattogram, said.
“The operation ended in eight minutes,” he said in a post-operation briefing at the premises of Shah Amanat International Airport this evening.
According to what he said, the hijacker claimed himself as Mahadi, 25, and wanted to talk to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and his wife.
“We tried to talk to him, but he took an attacking position. Our commandos had to move swiftly. They took action. He was brought out injured, but later died,” Maj Gen Rahman said.
“He had a pistol with him,” the army officer said.
Initially, a cabin crew member spotted the suspicious behaviour of a passenger and reported it to the authorities, said Civil Aviation Secretary Mohibul Haque.
“The pilot made an emergency landing. All the passengers were evacuated,” he said.
All the while, the members of law enforcing agencies surrounded the aircraft and the airport; and evacuated all the passengers safely.
At around 7:25pm, the hijacker was apprehended in an injured condition.
- Zimbabwe not taking part Bangladesh T20 tri-series
- Hong Kong actor Simon Yam stabbed on stage in China
- Germany remembers heroes in Hitler assassination bid
- 14-party demands bringing Priya to justice
- `Women entrepreneurs to get plots at BSCIC industrial estates`
- PM attains London envoy conference
- Schoolgirl commits suicide in Muksudpur
- UK summons Iranian diplomat over tanker seizure
- Boylifter: legal action against lyncher
- Tanker seizure: Iran Choosing dangerous path; says Jeremy Hunt
- Mobile court sentences 20 people in capital
- Tigers reaches Sri Lanka
- Youth lost life to adorn wedding
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- RCC declares clean city next day of Qurbani
- Three-time Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit dies
- 118 native fish on extinction in Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka series will be challenging: Tamim
- Miller to play for Dhaka Dynamites
- Saudi announces free internet and SIM service for pilgrims
- One electrocuted amid shot circuit fire in Kishoreganj
- Robot to douse fire
- “Macedon too small for you, one day you will conquer world”
- ‘Benapole Express’ launches
- Priya Saha’s statement completely untrue: Quader
- Acne’s remedy ‘Nutmeg’!
- 50 years ago, humanity’s 1st steps on another world
- ‘Priya Saha fabricated allegations to defame country’s image’
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after returning home: HM
- Lawyers team on way to Barguna to assist Minni
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- How to get HSC result
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM urges DCs to be sincere for accelerated development
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday