Bill before finishing project
Published: 08:51 PM, 26 June 2019 Updated: 09:37 PM, 26 June 2019
In Baliakandi upazila of Rajbari district, river erosion washes away thousands of homesteads and corps during every monsoon. Government have started to build a bamboo dam aiming to prevent river erosion. It will be beneficial both for dwellers and their croplands. But the contractor is trying to draw its bill leaving it unfinished.
Sources said, local people is very happy on such steps of the government. They believe it will change the river course in one hand, and the corps land will be saved as well as increased in other hand. But complains is that the contractor of the dam construction is trying to draw its contract money leaving the project unfinished.
It is learnt that, although there is a bamboo fencing in the Gorai River, wood logs have not been set yet. But due to the water increasing in the river, setting timber trunks have now become impossible.
Project labor Md. Qayum Bepary said that, we are working to set bamboo barrier here, these bamboos are 25 feet length each, while 13 feet are under the river ground, and another 12 feet are over. Later, wood trunk will be fallen here.
Shariful Islam, resident of Narua village, said that during the floods, lots of land goes under the water in the area. Local people will be benefited if this project is done properly and quickly. This will increase the land of the district. But the dam is not strong because of not giving a wood trunk. Water has increased in the river. Now it is not possible to offer wood logs.
Local UP member Alim said, every year, river erosion is causing huge damage. Hope this project will bring benefits in the area.
Narua UP Chairman, Abdus Salam Master said “I think, the Bamboo Bundling pilot project will play an important role in preventing the erosion of the Gorai River. The project area needs to be expanded at different points of the Gorai River in the region.
Assistant Engineer of River Research Institute Faridpur, Motiar Rahman said, “Such projects will be adopted in river erosion areas across the country. This will increase the navigability of the river and reduce erosion. Farmers can cultivate crop land if they increase the sediments and slopes on the other side of the dam.
He also said that only Tk 75 lakh will be spent on bamboo fencing in one and a half kilometer area in Jamsapur of Narua UP under Baliakandi upazila of Rajbari. The river research institute, which oversees the work under the supervision of the Water Resources Ministry. Works will be completed by Dhaka's contractor firm M / s Bhawal Construction.
In the meantime, he acknowledged the matter of wood trunk and said, "It will not be given if they try to draw bills without giving wood logs."
Regarding this matter, UNO Md. Masum Reza said, “The officer of the river research institute will be asked so that (the contractor) could not take the bill without doing the work finished.”
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- Priya Shaha sacked form BHBCUC
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- Police HQ asks units to stop child-lifting rumor
- Imran Khan vows to reform Pakistan cricket
- Flood shut over 100 edu institutes in Tangail
- Dredging on railway
- Special supervising cell for defaulters
- Hong Kong reels from armed mob violence
- BD peacekeeper electrocuted in Central African Republic
- Bangladesh to tour Pakistan
- HC summons DNCC, DSCC chief health officials
- 3 placed on 4-day remand over Badda lynching
- 2 more schools made public
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Habiganj Civil Surgeon dies of dengue virus
- Local AL leader shot dead in Satkhira
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Iran announces arrests, death sentences as CIA spy ring busted
- ‘CNG stations to remain open 24 hrs for 11 days in Eid’
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Minni sent to jail
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web