B’baria train collision: Death toll climbs to 16
Published: 11:20 AM, 12 November 2019 Updated: 08:17 PM, 12 November 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The death toll rises to 16 and hundreds wounded in a fatal collision of two trains on the Dhaka-Chattogram route in Mandbagh railway station under Kasba Upazila of Brahmanbaria.
Meanwhile, 8 bodies have been identified. They are — Al-Amin, son of Ayub Hossain of Madanamorad area of Baniachong Upazila of Habiganj; Ali Mohammad Yusuf, son of Md Hassan of Anwarpur area; Sujan, resident of of Pirergaon area of Charanaughat Upazila; Yasin and Zahida Khatun of Habiganj; Mojibur Rahman, his wife Kulsuma, and their child Adiba of Rajgaon area of Hajiganj Upazila of Chandpur.
Members of the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) identified the victims by taking their fingerprints.
Earlier, the deadly collision took place at 3:20 am on the Dhaka-Chattogram route in Mandbagh Railway Station crossing. So far, 8 bodies have been identified. The figure of the dead may go up further.
Zakir Hossain Chowdhury, Station Master of Mandbagh Railway Station said that Dhaka-bound Turna Nishita from Chattogram hit Chattogram-bound Udayan Express from Sylhet while the Chattogram bound intercity train was changing its track at the station.
Rescue trains were coming to the spot to retrieve the missing bogies. In addition, the fire service and police are conducting rescue work, he added.
Meanwhile, the Sylhet-Dhaka rail link with Chattogram has been snapped since the incident. On the other hand, Brahmanbaria DC Hayat-ud-Daula Khan and SP Md Anisur Rahman visited the spot.
“Initially, it appears that the Turna Nishitha train violated the signal and hit the Udayan Express train by entering the line,” said DC Hayat-ud-Daula Khan. “However, a three-member probe committee has been formed led by Additional District Magistrate Mitu Maryam to investigate the real cause.”
Shyamal Kanti Das, officer-in-charge (OC) of Akhaura Railway Police Station said Some of the bogies of the two trains were derailed. “There are speculations that there may be more bodies under the rubble.”
Bangladesh Railway authorities have formed two separate probe bodies while Brahmanbaria district administration formed another probe body to investigate the deadly incident.
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Myanmar Navy handed over 17 Bangladeshi fishermen
- Saudi Aramco raises $25.6 billion in biggest-ever IPO
- Cosmos Dialogue on Bangladesh-Canada trade tomorrow
- Gas supply to stay shut in Farmgate, Shukrabad tomorrow
- Radish’s ‘Jafrani kabab’
- Minister laid Press Club building foundation stone in Kaliakair
- ‘No one will be exempted involving corruption’
- Bogura Zilla Awami League council tomorrow
- BNP’s behaviour in court unpardonable: Quader
- RAB detained 3 members of snatcher cycle
- Bangladeshi archers shine on opening day
- Modi, Pranab, Sonia to join Bangabandhu`s birth centenary
- Agriculture Minister inaugurates ‘Krisoker Bazar’
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Pancake without eggs!
- Language movement-liberation war’s colorful paintings on wall
- Child body recover from pond
- Giant ‘Tiger Shark’ caught in Chattogram
- ACC detained 2 civil aviation officials
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- 23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic
- Bangladesh to honour 380 Indian soldiers: FM
- New South Wales bushfires condition worsen
- Hemayet 5th World Carrom rankings
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Flower blooms with Azan