Baul Emperor Shah Abdul Karim’s 105th birthday
Published: 05:18 PM, 15 February 2020
Today is the 105th birthday of Baul Emperor Shah Abdul Karim, the author of numerous life time songs, including ‘Boshonto batashe’, ‘Bande maya Lagaise’, ‘Ami kul hara kalangkini’, ‘Gari chole na’, ‘Keno piriti baraila re bondhu’, ‘Aage ki sundor din kataitam’.
He was born on February 15, 1916, in Ujandhal village in Derai upazila of Sunamganj.
His songs focused on the folklore, old and traditional things of our country culture. The tale of happiness and sorrows of our country people were the topic of his song. Besides spiritual and baul songs, he had also the expertise on Vatiali Songs also.
A two-day long folk festival has been arranged like every year to celebrate his birthday in his native home Ujandhal.
Shah Abdul Karim was awarded the Ekushey Padak in 2001 by the Government of Bangladesh.
Shah Abdul Karim, the songwriter, and composer of more than 1600 songs. With the initiative of Bangla Academy, 10 of his songs were translated into English.
There are six songbooks written by Shah Abdul Karim. These are - Aftab Sangeet, Gano Sangeet, Dholmela, Kalnir Dheu, Bhatir Chithi and Kalnir Kooley.
In addition to the Ekushey Padak in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the music, he received many awards including Citycell-Channel I honors, Sylhet City Corporation Citizens’ Reception, Bangladesh United Nations Association, Opinion, Shilpakala Academy, Khan Bahadur Ahiya.
Baul Emperor Shah Abdul Karim died on September 12, 2009 in Sylhet.
Shah Abdul Karim Memorial Council President Apple Mahmud Baul said, “Shah Abdul Karim will be with us in song and tunes forever.” He requested everyone, not to sing Abdul Karim’s song in distorted way.
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact