‘Barricaded’ Myanmar protesters allowed to leave Yangon
Published: 01:15 PM, 9 March 2021 Updated: 02:20 PM, 9 March 2021
Around 200 people from Yangon district had been blocked from leaving the Sanchaung area of the city on Monday; Photo: Collected
Hundreds of Myanmar protesters who had been “trapped overnight” in Yangon, the largest city of Myanmar, by security forces have been allowed to leave the district on Tuesday morning.
Around 200 people from Yangon district had been blocked from leaving a four-street area in the Sanchaung area of the city on Monday, BBC reported.
“Many of those trapped were women who went marching for support of International Women’s Day,” said Antonio Guterres, secretary-general of the United Nations (UN).
The UN had appealed to the military for their “safe release”, told Guterres to media, urging “maximum restraint”.
According to BBC, citing a protester, 40 people were “arrested overnight”, but the rest of them remained hidden until the morning and were able to leave.
Another protester tweeted in the morning that she arrived home safely after being trapped at a place in Sanchaung the entire night.
“All who were hiding with me are safe,” she added.
Mass protests have been seen across Myanmar since the military seized power and detained civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi on February 1. More than 54 people have been killed by security forces in demonstrations so far.