Barobajar: An ancient city of mosque
Published: 09:58 PM, 25 October 2019 Updated: 05:02 PM, 23 November 2019
Mohammadabad, an ancient city, is situated about three square kilometers at Barobazar in Kaliganj Upazila of Jhenaidah. There are 19 mosques of the Sultanate period. Which was below in the ground. There are still seven mosques under the ground. Which is more than seven hundred years old.
The current name of ancient Shah Mohammadabad, the capital of the fifteenth century is Barobazar. The location of Barobazar is 11 kilometers south of Kaliganj town and 17 kilometers north far away from Jashore district.
Barobazar is surrounded by hundreds of ponds and natural beauty on the banks of Bhairab River on two sides of the Dhaka-Khulna highway. It is named Baro by the twelve number of Aulia.
The Aulia are Enayet Khan, Abdal Khan, Daulat Khan, Rahmat Khan, Shamsher Khan, Murad Khan, Haibot Khan, Niamat Khan, Syed Khan, Belayet Khan and Shahadat Khan.
Thousands of tourists come here every day to see the mosques. Especially Muslim architecture students from public universities in the country come here for research-study.
It is known from history that after the conquer of Nadia, Ikhtiyar Uddin Mohammed bin Bakhtiyar Khilji was attracted to the north without paying attention to the south or southeast. As a result, his kingdom continued to be widespread in the north.
Later, during the rule of Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah, son of Shamsuddin Ilyas Shah, some parts of Jashore and Khulna brought under his regime. And finally Khan Jahan Ali achieved the glory of victory in the southeast area.
Khan Jahan Ali once entered the Daulatganj in Kushtia as the commander of a small army to defend himself. From there, he left for Hakimpur of Kotchandpur Upazila and left for Barobazar.
He dug a lot of dighi and ponds in the area after seeing the hardships of drinking water on the way. It is uttered that the reservoirs were dug on the same night. As a result, there are still 84 acres of ponds and dighi in the Barobazar area.
Mosques at Barobazar:
Satgachiya Adina Mosque:
It is the ruins of the mosque beside the south of a large pond. It has just the walls and the bottom. The people of the village were the first to rescue the mosque that was under the soil. It is the largest mosque in this area. About 77 feet long and 55 feet wide.
Inside the mosque, there are 48 pillars and 35 domes upon. On the west wall there are three Mihrabs which enhanced with various designs of tree-leaves. The mosque was renovated in 1992.
In Barobazar there is six domed Golakata mosque. The mosque, 21 feet long and 18 feet wide, was excavated in 1994. It has three Mihrabs on the west wall. The walls are about five feet wide and in the middle there are two long black stones. It is reported that there was a tyrant king at Barobazar who cut off the neck of the people and threw them dighi in front of the mosque. That is why its name is Golakata.
Another name of this mosque is Shukur Mallick Mosque. The mosque made of burnt soil and it is the smallest mosque in this area, just a dome. In the Hasilbagh area, once there were Damdam Jahajghata, cantonments and rivers ports.
The Nungola mosque also has a single dome. Although a dome, it is the largest mosque in the region. Inside the mosque, there are three semicircular Mihrabs. Locals call it the ‘Lobongola Mosque. However, no specific reason gets found behind the name of the mosque. Nungola Mosque was discovered at Mithapukur area. Hasilbagh Mosque and Nungola Mosque are along as well.
One domed Pathagar Mosque is situated on the west side of the Jhenaidah-Jashore highway. This mosque made of red brick is smaller in size. The Department of Archeology renovated the mosque in 2007 by excavating from the soil. It is thought that the mosque was library-centric in the Sultanate period. There is a large dighi in front of the mosque. Which is called Pithagora pond. The mosque was discovered in the Belat Daulatpur area.
Pir Pukur Mosque:
Pir Pukur Mosque is on the west side of the Patahagar Mosque. The mosque was discovered in 1994 by excavating from the grave of the soil. The mosque has no roof but only walls. The mosque is made of red brick. This 16 domed mosque is located in Belat Daulatpur area.
Gorar Mosque has four domes. The mosque has various artifacts, including mihrabs, terracotta flowers on the walls and carved fruit trees. The outer walls are also wrapped in red brick. The mosque is located in the Belat Daulathpur area. People come here to pray every day.
Jor Bangla Mosque:
Jor Bangla Mosque is located in the Barobazar area. The mosque was renovated in 1993. During the excavation a brick was found written “Shah Sultan Mahmood ibn Hussein, Eight Hundred Hijri” in Arabic letters. Traditionally, it was named Jor Bangla Mosque because there was a twin hut adjacent to the mosque. People also come here to pray every day.
Barobazar was the name of Chapainagar. Khan Jahan Ali went there with twelve companions. From there, it is named Barobazar. Khan Jahan Ali established several mosques there. Barobazars were destroyed at one time in war or pestilence. The ancient history and the mosque are the proof of having a civilized society once there.
Besides, Ghop and Arpara mound are located in the Goppara area. This is used as Rauza Sharif. There is a Cheragdani mosque in Sadikpur area. There is also a 16-domed mosque in the Sadikpur area. Rauza Sharif is located in Belat Daulatpur area. Recently a mosque named Saudagar Mosque has been discovered in Belat Daulatpur area. Shahi Mahal, the residence of Sikandar Badshah is also situated in the same area.
Rabiul Islam, author, and researcher of the book ‘Bilupta Nagori Barobazar’ (Abolished City the Barobazar), said that there are many mosques of the fifteenth century. After the discovery of Barobazar a river-centric city of the Sultanate period and river-centric capital Mohammadabad history should be reported to the present generation. This is also important to implement the former form of Barobazar in this area.
- DUCSU stands beside insolvent DU students
- Temperature may rise over country
- Clinton-Monica affair whistleblower Linda Tripp dies at 70
- Chad army kills 1,000 Boko Haram militants
- Face fine if go out of home
- PM calls for boosting int’l cooperation to fight coronavirus
- James` concert on Facebook live this afternoon
- Yemen records first coronavirus case
- Coronavirus kills over 50000 in 10 days
- Jacqueline stuck in Salman`s garden
- Popular TV actress delivers 2nd child in Delhi
- India does not need money; Kapil`s reply to Shoaib
- 100 Bangladeshis die from coronavirus in US
- First coronavirus patient detected in Chandpur
- Ambulance driver infected with coronavirus in Sherpur
- Boris Johnson out of intensive care
- Holy Shab-e-Barat observed
- Nearly 1 lakh die from coronavirus, over 1.6m infected
- 10 newborns infected with coronavirus
- Two more coronavirus cases identified in Sherpur
- Coronavirus infection mounting to 1.6 million
- Cumilla reports another COVID-19 patient
- Language hero Sufia Ahmed dies
- Health officials coronavirus infected in N’ganj
- ‘YFSA’ stands beside 200 families
- Coronavirus death toll mounting to .10 million
- Medical aid in hilly areas by Air Force’s helicopter
- EU could fail to coronavirus
- Coronavirus isolation unit at Titumir College
- Coast Guard DDG promoted to rear admiral
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 150 Saudi royal family members infected with coronavirus
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- China to ban eating cats and dogs
- Trudeau threatens retaliation Trump’s decision
- Boris Johnson`s pregnant girlfriend diagnosed with coronavirus
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- US Captain who raised alarm over coronavirus removed
- Vaccine for COVID-19 tested in mice
- Cow thefts on rise in Gazaria