Barcelona demolish Sevilla to clinch Copa del Rey
Published: 10:02 AM, 22 April 2018
Barcelona won their fourth successive Copa del Rey with a merciless 5-0 thrashing of Sevilla as departing hero Andres Iniesta joined the usual suspects on the scoresheet.
Luis Suarez netted twice in the first half, Lionel Messi grabbed his 40th of the season and Philippe Coutinho marked his first final for the club with a successful penalty, but it was a rare strike from Iniesta which drew the broadest smiles in a one-sided romp at the Wanda Metropolitano.
The Spanish great is set to depart for China at the end of the campaign and he showed characteristic timing by popping up with a delicate effort before tearing up following an emotional tribute from the Barca faithful.
Lost somewhat amid a masterclass performance was the first piece of silverware for head coach Ernesto Valverde, who is set to complete the domestic double despite criticism.
It took Barca less than 10 minutes to mark their intentions, Messi bending a long-range free-kick straight towards the top corner only for David Soria to produce an acrobatic save.
It was to be a fleeting reprieve, though, with goalkeeper Jesper Cillesen setting up the night`s opening goal with a mighty kick upfield.
With bodies tightly packed in midfield, he effortlessly picked out Coutinho`s run from 70 yards, the Brazilian advancing on goal before clipping across goal to leave Suarez an empty net.
Iniesta, making one last appearance in a cup final, came close to a second five minutes later but while his deflected effort easily beat the keeper it came back off the crossbar.
Sevilla`s replies were brief and unsuccessful, Steven Nzonzi poking wide from the best one after meeting Jesus Navas` cross.
It was soon 2-0, Iniesta and Jordi Alba toying with Sevilla down the left and opening up space with a neat one-two.
Navas lunged into a tackle but failed to make a good connection, leaving Alba to backheel the ball to Messi, who finished emphatically.
Sevilla had scarcely restarted when Barca picked them apart again, thwarted only by a spurious offside flag.
Sergio Escudero also had a slice of good fortune when he cynically fouled Messi on halfway, earning a yellow card despite appearing to be the last man in what would surely have become a goalscoring opportunity.
The tie was effectively put to bed in the 40th minute, Suarez exchanging passes with Messi in the number 10 pocket before finishing low past Soria.
Sevilla replaced Joaquin Correa with Sandro Ramirez at the break but in the context of the game, it was a cosmetic change.
Within seven minutes it was four and Iniesta had his goal.
Suarez helped with some retrieval work, Messi played the final pass and the decorated midfielder finished beautifully - for just the second time this year.
He feigned to chip Soria, who bought the ruse wholesale, then drifted to the right and slotted home from an angle.
A fifth almost followed from the very next attack, Soria denying Samuel Umtiti from close range. Coutinho was next to find the net, though he needed to do so twice to earn his goal.
The former Liverpool man saw an effort chalked off due to Clement Lenglet`s handball seconds earlier but was allowed to take the resulting penalty to make up for his disappointment.
The highlight of the closing stages was Iniesta`s exit shortly before the end, with a heartfelt tribute from all four sides of the ground. - RTE
- COVID-19 cases, deaths rapidly increasing in appalling levels
- Five detained for spreading rumors over corona in Rangpur
- Boris Johnson`s pregnant girlfriend diagnosed with coronavirus
- Kathalbari-Shimulia ferry halted to prevent coronavirus
- Healthy newborn to coronavirus infected parents
- 34 more people tested for Coronavirus infection in Chattogram
- Coronavirus epidemic: Death toll surging to 65,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- BGMEA urges owners to shut factories until Apr 11
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Sehri and Iftar schedule revealed for upcoming Ramadan
- Coronavirus testing lab to be set-up in Cumilla
- 33 houses under lockdown in Shariatpur
- Madhukhali couple tested negative for coronavirus
- 2 Monipuri families under home quarantine
- Another woman in Gaibandha tests positive for coronavirus
- MP stands beside 800 families in Jamaganj
- Lightning kills 3 in Maheshkhali
- ‘Coronavirus test will be added to all medical college hospital’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- 2 RMG workers killed in Mymensingh road crash
- 1 killed, 15 injured in Brahmanbaria clash
- 8 types of coronavirus spread around the world
- Three physicians among 23 quarantined in Chattogram
- Call for Shab-e-Barat prayers at home
- Former Barcelona defender Carlos infected with coronavirus
- U-17 Women`s World Cup postponed
- Maximum 5pc LC margin for baby food import
- Coronavirus death surpasses 60,000
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Kurmitola Hospital to treat coronavirus patients only
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- Army to go tough from today
- 4 held in Saudi for claiming corona is ‘punishment from Allah’
- Edu Minister for continue students’ studies at home
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Infant, younger than a year dies of coronavirus
- No new coronavirus case detected in last 24 hrs: IEDCR
- Construction work of Akij’s corona hospital resumed
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- What Trudeau’s wife says after healing from coronavirus
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus