Banks to charge highest 9pc interest for industrial loans
Published: 10:31 PM, 24 December 2019
All banks in Bangladesh will charge a maximum 9 percent interest rate in providing industrial loans from January 1 next.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Bangladesh Bank Governing Board on Tuesday.
Central bank Governor Fazle Kabir presided over the meeting while Finance Secretary, Banking Division Secretary, and National Board of Revenue (NBR) chairman, who are also board members, attended the meeting.
“After analyzing different aspects of a report submitted by a committee formed by the central bank in this regard, the BB Governing Board took the decision,” Sirajul Islam, spokesman of the Bangladesh Bank, told UNB.
He also said the central bank will now issue a circular asking the banks to follow the new interest rate to be charged for industries, including the manufacturing sector.
All kinds of industrial loans, including working capital, will come under the new rate, Sirajul added.
The central bank’s new decision came against the backdrop of recent remarks of Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal who said all the banks would follow a single-digit interest rate from the first day of the New Year.
Talking to reporters after a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Public Purchase on December 18, he mentioned that bank owners had promised to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to bring down the interest rate to a single digit and took huge advantages with this commitment. But the promise of lowering the bank interest rate still remained unimplemented.
Mustafa Kamal had said all banks were given time to execute the order and now they are ready to lower the interest rate. “You’ll see the result once the central bank issues the circular,” he said.
He said lowering the interest rate to a single digit will ease many tasks for the industries, especially the manufacturing sector.
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- Acid thrown to make Muslims eyeless in Delhi
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test