Bangladesh wins 8 int'l awards for digital innovations
Published: 03:13 PM, 27 December 2018 Updated: 03:13 PM, 27 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Access to Information (a2i) Programme of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has won eight international awards in different categories and a national award this year for different digital innovations.
Bangladesh has won the world’s most prestigious award “World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) Prize-2018” in ICT sector for fifth time in a row for two innovative projects of a2i.
The a2i programme won the award for the Muktopaath (www.muktopaath.gov.bd), which can play an important role in educating and training youths, women, professionals and overseas workers. Using the platform, anyone can take general, technical, vocational and life oriented education.
Apart from this, a2i and Bangladesh Police were awarded another WSIS Prize jointly for “Online Police Clearance Certificate Management System” which was made with the assistance from service innovation fund of a2i and implemented by Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP).
The then project director of the a2i Program Kabir Bin Anwar, now secretary of the Water Resources Ministry, received the award for Muktopaath while Deputy Inspector General of Police Harun Ur Rashid and Additional DIG (ICT) Md Ruhul Amin received the award for “Online Police Clearance Certificate Management System” on March 20, 2018 at a function held at the headquarters of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in Geneva, Switzerland.
According to the a2i officials, the Muktopaath was also bestowed with the PIB-Sohel Samad Memorial Award-2018. A2i’s Policy Advisor Anir Chowdhury received the award on September 5, 2018 at a function held at the seminar room of PIB in the city.
The a2i programme has won “International Invention Innovation and Technology Exhibition” (ITEX) Award 2018 in three different innovation categories on May 12. For the very first time, a2i participated in the exhibition held at Kuala Lumpur Convention Center in Malaysia and won two gold and one silver awards.
The a2i received gold awards for the innovation project “Centralized Nebulizing System” in the ‘Biotechnology, Health and fitness’ category and for “Fuel from Plastic” in the ‘Environmental, Renewable Energy’ category.
The a2i also received one silver award in the ‘Special care and Child care’ category for a project titled “Portable Infant Incubator”.
A total of 62 innovations out of more than 1000 innovations and technological designs from 23 different countries received the Gold Award and 73 the Silver Award.
The ‘EkSheba’ platform of a2i has won the Award of Merit at the 18th prestigious Asia Pacific ICT Alliance APICTA Award 2018 held at Guangzhou in China on October 13.
e-service Specialist of the a2i Mohammad Ashraful Amin received the award from Guangzhou Province Economic and Information Commission deputy director Shen Zhixiong and APICTA Awards chief judge professor Gansen Zhao.
This year, a total of 17 countries, including Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam, participated in the APICTA Award, popularly known as Oscars in the ICT arena.
The a2i has received the ‘President Award’ of the Open Group of India for the second time for implementing ‘EkSeba’ Software Solution.
A2i got the award in ‘Enterprise Architecture Enabled Government Transformation’ category of an international competition on innovation held at the hotel of Indian city of Bengaluru on February 22, 2018.
Secretary of the Ministry of ICT, India, Shri Ajay Sawhney and former government official of India J Satyanarayana handed over the award to a2i’s Policy Advisor Anir Chowdhury.
In every year, Open Group of India organizes the conference and competition on Global Innovation and Excellence.
A2i’s National Consultant for Accessibility Vashkar Bhattacharjee, a visually impaired Bangladeshi national, has been awarded the UNESCO/Emir Jaber al Ahmad al Jaber al Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (2018-19) by developing the country’s first ‘Accessible Dictionary’.
Bhattacharjee received the prestigious award as the ever first Bangladeshi from the representative of the Kuwaiti Government Sheikh Mubarak Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah at a ceremony organised in observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities at UNESCO Headquarters on December 3, 2018.
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- Savar National Memorial prepared for 26 Mar
- Mymensingh City Corp polls May 5
- 1.35m HSC examinee this yr
- Ducsu VP, AGS’ support over job entry age extn movt
- Abahani beat Mohammedan to stay top
- Case filed over SAU`s Wasim murder
- Avijit murder case shifted to ATT for trial
- Griffith appointed Australia bowling coach
- Kamal for amplify value of harmony
- Dipu Moni calls month long ‘Coaching’ shut
- Biogas brings a better life to rural women
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies