‘Bangladesh to get highest assistance from WB’
Published: 05:42 PM, 19 October 2019
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal has expressed his hope that Bangladesh would get its highest loan assistance from the World Bank this time.
“The World Bank is very much eager to lend additional loan assistance to Bangladesh and I hope we’ll get the highest loan assistance from the World Bank this time,” he said.
The Finance Minister said these while talking to reporters on Friday after holding separate meetings with IFC regional vice president Snezana Stoiljkovic, Deputy Governor of Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) Nobumitsu Hayashi, with the USAID delegation on tax reforms and on road safety issues organized by the South Asia Region of the World Bank at Washington DC.
The Finance Minister is now in Washington DC to take part in the annual meetings of the World Bank and the IMF said a Finance Ministry release received on Saturday.
Kamal said all the development partners including the World Bank have acknowledged that the capacity of Bangladesh in different fields has increased a lot and the country is also on the right path.
Turning to his meeting with the regional vice president of IFC, Kamal said the IFC would enhance its investment for the development of the private sector in Bangladesh since the IFC has announced to make a hefty amount of investment across the world.
The Finance Minister said that the USAID has expressed its interest to enhance the income tax collection capacity of the NBR side by side JBIC has expressed its interest to invest in Bangladesh.
Regarding his meeting on road safety issues organized by the World Bank, Kamal said strengthening road safety is very much important as unnatural death could not be expected.
Kamal mentioned that the government has enacted a law on road safety, the highways are being upgraded to four-lane and six lanes while rest areas are built for the vehicle drivers.
Finance Secretary Abdur Rauf Talukder, Economic Relations Division (ERD) Secretary Monowar Ahmed, Alternate Executive Director to the World Bank Md Musharraf Hossain Bhuiyan and Economic Minister M Shahabuddin Patwari, among others, attended these meetings.
- Hasan urges foreign journos to project Bangladesh dev
- Saifuddin desperate to make a comeback
- China`s state TV pulls live Arsenal game
- Road crash kills woman in Capital
- UCBL- Sylhet Range Police sign agreement
- Pepper-water mixture relieves throat sore in two minute
- Road accidents kill 2 in Mohanpur
- Why Mushfiqur included IPL auction?
- HC rules against illegal rail crossings
- We have good bilateral relations with India: Quader
- IUTA election in Islamic University
- Preparation afoot to observe victory day in Khulna tomorrow
- DMP detained 75 in anti-narcotic drive
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake in Philippines
- Buy 1 Saree get 1 kg onion free!
- JU adorned with Victory joy
- Motorcyclist killed in Rajshahi
- NZ volcano: Death toll rises to 16 with two still missing
- National Memorial prepared for Victory Day
- Shabnur returns!
- Dry weather likely over country
- 14 killed in Nepal bus crash
- Man held with 600 bottles of phensedyl
- Former Sudan President sentenced to 2 years detention
- List of 10,789 Razakars published
- Tourist attractions in Sylhet
- Coutinho hits hat-trick as Bayern rout Werder Bremen
- 2 held with counterfeit currency in Sylhet
- Rajshahi claims top after Dhaka phase
- Protest sparked in West Bengal; 5 trains,15 buses set on fire
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today