Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
Published: 09:00 PM, 19 June 2019
Prime Minister and Leader of the House Sheikh Hasina today said in the Jatiya Sangsad that Bangladesh has set a role model in the globe by accelerating living standard, education rate, average life expectancy rate and eliminating poverty.
“We are now becoming a rare example in the world for increasing living standard, education rate, average life expectancy rate and eradicating poverty,” she said while replying to a tabled question from the treasury bench lawmaker Benjir Ahmed from Dhaka-20 constituency with Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury in the chair.
The Awami League government is firmly committed to ensure balanced development with reaching civic amenities to each of the villages in line with its election manifesto 2018 by accelerating the pace of village development alongside with the development of the towns, she said.
“Bangladesh has achieved a huge success in the socio-economic development for proper implementation of the work plans taken by the Awami League government in the last one decade,” she opined.
The premier said that the living standard of the village people has increased and the tendency of going to town among the people has decreased as employment generation has created in the village and income of the village people has increased.
In this context, Sheikh Hasina recalled the contribution of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for taking various pragmatic measures to ensure balanced development by eliminating discrepancies between villages and towns as Bangabandhu realized it could not be possible to build a prosperous Bangladesh ignoring rural development.
“We have declared “Vision 2021” to transform Bangladesh into a middle income country free from hunger and poverty by ensuring balanced and planned development to materialize the unaccomplished tasks of the Father of the Nation,” she said.
“One of the main purposes of announcing the “Vision 2021” is to reduce rural poverty rate in a significant level,” she continued.
The prime minister has highlighted various initiatives of her government in different sectors for overall rural development to reach civic amenities to each of the villages with a slogan “My Village, My Town.”
For ensuring primary education in the grassroots, she said, the Awami League government had nationalized 26,370 primary schools following the footstep of the Father of the Nation after assuming office in 2009.
The government has taken a plan for setting up a community clinic for every 6000 villagers aimed at reaching medical services to the doorsteps, the premier said.
Regarding modernization of the agriculture, she said, the government is now giving up to 50 percent to 70 percent development assistance to the farmers to purchase agricultural equipment alongside with giving 20 percent rebate on the electricity bill in case of use in irrigation.
The government has been arranging uninterrupted power supply during the Boro season, distributing high yielding seeds among the farmers at fair price, distributing fertilizers and seeds among the small and marginal farmers, she also said.
On development of communications network, she said her government has now been creating a ‘village road network’ for extension of civic amenities to each of the villages.
The prime minister said her government is working to reach electricity to each of the people, adding that the power generation has now reached at 21,600 megawatt by increasing the power generation by seven folds in the last 10 years.
The government has set a target of generating 24,000 mw power by 2021 and 60,000 mw by 2041, she informed.
Sheikh Hasina said her government has been implementing National Social Security Strategy, 2015 in line with the principles of “Leave no one behind” and “Inclusive Development”.
The premier said her government is implementing “Amar Bari Amar Khamar” project involving Taka 81,027 crore by which 75,993 village development samity (cooperative society) will be formed to facilitate 36,39,000 families from 2009 to 2020.
- Third prime accused Rishan Farazi held
- Hearing on writ challenges rickshaw ban today
- Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- PM inaugurates ‘National Fisheries Week-2019’
- Water level of Jamuna rises, 50 villages flooded
- Elon Musk wants to merge human brains with AI
- New EvilGnome Backdoor Spies on Linux Users, Steals Their Files
- Message in a bottle written 50 yrs ago found in Australia
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Old Dhaka building collapse: Father-Son’s bodies recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- England face Australia in high-voltage semis today
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN