Bangladesh receives over $6b remittance in 4 months
Published: 11:43 AM, 4 November 2019 Updated: 12:45 PM, 4 November 2019
Expatriate Bangladeshis sent more than US $6 billion remittances in the first four months of the current fiscal 2019-20, which is the highest in the country's history.
In these four months, the inflow of remittance is increased by 20.40 per cent. Of these months, the country received $1.64 billion remittances in last October, which is the second-highest monthly remittance in the country. It has been noted that in May last fiscal year, remittance was $1,748.16 million - the highest monthly remittance ever.
The remittances increased by about 32 per cent in October this fiscal year compared to October last year. In addition, the remittance growth increased by 11 per cent in October compared to the previous month, said Bangladesh Bank data released on Sunday.
According to Bangladesh Bank (BB) data, during the July-October period in this fiscal year, expatriate Bangladeshis sent $6.15 billion which is 20.40 per cent higher than the amount received in the corresponding period of the preceding fiscal. The country received $5.10 billion remittances during the July-October period of 2018-19 financial year.
According to the central bank data, the country received $1.64 billion in October and $1.46 billion in September of fiscal 2019-20. Earlier in 2018-19, the country got $1.13 billion in October.
To increase remittance growth, Tk 3,060 crore has been allocated in the budget in the current fiscal year for two per cent remittance incentives. To get an incentive for remittance of up to $1,500, no documents will be required and it will be provided instantly, said a Bangladesh Bank formulated policy on August 6.
Apart from this, the rising value of the dollar against taka is encouraging the non-resident Bangladeshis to send money home through the banking channel, the Bangladesh Bank officials told a media.
- ADB to provide US$ 540m for human resource development
- Bijoy Mela begins in Ctg
- Premier Div Chess: Saif SC, Police share top slot
- Both Challengers, Thunder upbeat to start BPL with victory
- Brazilian president hails launching of Sino-Brazilian satellite
- 18th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Turkey says ready to send troops to back Libya unity govt
- What should be said while entering house
- No room for anti-liberation forces in AL: Quader
- HC summons Sakhipur UNO, OC
- Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
- Two children drown in Kurigram
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ECNEC okays 7 projects
- BBPL will miss Shakib: Russell
- Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
- 1mn more jobs in ICT sector within 5 yrs: Palak
- Enjoy BPL in 10 countries apart from Bangladesh
- NASA chief gets latest look at new moon rocket
- Miraz braces for two challenges in BBPL
- RAB detained 5 brokers from hospital
- The old man died of heart attack during buy onions
- Qatar`s Emir Sheikh Tamim skips Gulf summit in Saudi Arabia
- Suu Kyi sat frozen in ICJ
- Prisoner militants need deradicalization: IGP
- Myanmar must stop Rohingyas genocide: Gambia
- Recruitment notices on Shah & Associates
- GDP growth reaches 8.15pc
- ICJ hearing: Rohingya vs Suu Kyi supporters UN-court showdown
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today