Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
Published: 09:52 AM, 13 July 2019 Updated: 03:43 PM, 13 July 2019
The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) has shown that Bangladesh is one of the fastest-growing poverty-stricken countries, according to a report released by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
The UNDP has released this MPI report on Thursday said the population in multidimensional poverty in Bangladesh had dropped to 74.4 million in 2014 from 93.7 million in 2004.
MPI is used as a tool to implement Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)-1. SDG’s main goal is to eliminate global poverty alleviation.
The MPI report considers severe multi-dimensional poverty in 101 countries of the world. Among these countries- 31 low income, 68 middle income, and 2 high-income countries. About 130 million people of these countries are multi-dimensionally poor.
The MPI report compared poverty and observed changes through 10 indexes. These indicators include health, education, quality of work and standard of living.
This year’s MPI Index found that 200 million people in ten countries have achieved statistically significant progress in achieving the SDG-1 target. Of these, the MPI values of eight countries have declined. However, the number of multi-dimensional poor people in these countries has decreased overall.
According to the report, the fastest decline in poverty countries - Bangladesh, Cambodia, and India. At least 9 of these countries have improved. It has been said in the report that Child poverty fell faster than adult poverty in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Haiti, India, and Peru.'
But children fell further behind in Ethiopia, and their progress — together with that of adults — stalled in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Pakistan, the report said.
It has been said in the report that nearly half of 130 million people identified as poor, 66.30 million under 18 years of age. And 42.80 million under 10 years. About 85 percent of these children live in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa region.
The report found that the MPI values of Bangladesh and Pakistan are the same (0.198). Although discrimination in Pakistan is more than Bangladesh.
Developing in 2010 by the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative at the University of Oxford and the Human Development Report Office of the UNDP, the MPI is used as the flagship human development report. The MPI index of 2019 is available on the UNDP website.
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- Tk 120 cr allotted for flood recovery
- Writ seeking HC order to find out culprits in rawhide fall
- Man killed in Dhaka road crash
- How to advance in career when your boss won’t help
- Action against bribe payer too: PM
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Huge crowd at terminals
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future