‘Bangladesh enter new phase of development’
Published: 02:27 PM, 24 February 2019 Updated: 02:29 PM, 24 February 2019
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday said that Bangladesh has entered into a new phase of development through starting the construction work of 'Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Tunnel'. The tunnel under the Karnaphuli River will connect the two edges of Chattogram. And by constructing the tunnel, Bangladesh will make history in the subcontinent.
The Prime Minister was speaking at a civic rally as the chief guest marking the launching of the boring works of the tunnel at Patenga in Chattogram this afternoon.
The 3.5 kilometers long four-lane tunnel, the first in the country, will be built at a cost of Taka 9,880 crore to make Chattogram ‘One City Two Towns’, modelled on east and west Shanghai of China.
The total length of the proposed tunnel will be around 9.092 kilometers, including 3.40 kilometers of the tunnel under the Karnaphuli River with an approach road of 4.89 kilometers alongside 740 meters of bridges linking the main port city and western side of the Karnaphuli along with the heavy industry-prone eastern side of the river.
The tunnel route will pass through the river close to Navy College on one side and Korean Export Processing Zone (KEPZ) and Karnaphuli Fertiliser Company (Kafco) on the other.
It will cut the road distance between Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar, apart from easing the traffic on Dhaka-Chittagong Highway entering the port city to go to other parts of Chattogram division.
The multilane tunnel will connect Chattogram Port and Anowara Upazila and is expected to make communication between Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar easier, besides reducing traffic congestion on two bridges over the Karnaphuli river.
Chinese firm China Communication Construction Company Ltd (CCCC) has been appointed as consultant for construction of the tunnel.
On October 14 in 2017, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Chinese President Xi Jinping jointly laid its foundation stone.
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- 3 killed as bus hits standing truck
- Youth killed in Lakshmipur gunfight
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- Singer Aaron Carter raped by older sister
- Nusrat-Mimi dance for Durga Puja theme song
- Google to invest 3 bin euros in Europe
- Bangladesh pays hotel fare for Zim team
- Modi highly ambitious over India-US ties amid UNGA visit
- Polio outbreak in Philippines
- 24 Rohingyas detained in Ctg
- Operations will be conducted in Chattogram too: Minister
- BIMOX 2nd edition expo-2019 begins
- ICMAB holds talks on sustainability, global reporting initiatives
- Masakadza wins Zimbabwe in outing match
- 9 m babies born in unrest part of world last yr
- RAB surrounds 3 more clubs in city
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- U-23 India series: Bangladesh lost to host by 34 runs
- PM leaves for NY to join UNGA
- Arjun Kapoor trolls Alia Bhatt
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president Shafiqul detains
- Zim’s captain to farewell intl cricket
- Salman leaps with joy as Katrina sets IIFA 2019 stage on fire
- Why Srabanti suddenly in Dhaka?
- SBMC under teacher crisis
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Rain-floods claimed 5 lives in Spain
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka