Bangladesh clinch maiden U-19 World Cup
Published: 10:26 PM, 9 February 2020 Updated: 10:30 AM, 10 February 2020
Bangladesh have won the under-19 ICC World Cup for the very first time beating India by 3 wickets at Potchefstroom, South Africa, today. It is also the first World Cup at any level!
When the rain stopped play Bangladesh needed just 15 runs. After the play resues a revised target of 7 runs from 30 balls was set and Bangladesh did it in 7 balls keeping three wickets in hand.
After Bangladesh scored 163/7 the rain stopped play and they were just 15 runs away from victory from nine overs. Bangladesh were well ahead of the DLS par score at the moment, which was 147. If the play did not resume Bangladesh will be declared the winners. Skipper Akbar Ali 42 and Rakibul Hasan were in the batting and Bangladesh 163/7 in 41 overs.
Bangladesh have lost 6 wickets to 102 in chase of 178 runs but skipper Akbar Ali and retired hurt opener Parvez Hossain Emon kept hope alive for the men in red-green, against India.
Akbar and Emon (46) added 41 runs in the 7th wickets stand. Bangladesh were 35 runs behind when Emon went out on 143 as of 7th batsman.
Bishnoi strikes four times to keep Bangladesh under pressure in their chase. Bishnoi snares Hridoy (0) leg-before to make his 3rd scalp. Earlier he manages to slip one in through Mahmudul Hasan Joy (8), the centurion in the previous game, to give India a much-needed breakthrough and Bangladesh lost their 2nd wickets to 62.
Tanzid Hasan (17) departs, soon after hitting a big six off Bishnoi but make 50 runs opening stand before being dismissed. He tries to go for another one but holes out to deep mid-wicket, where Tyagi does the rest. Earlier, Bangladesh have restricted India to 177 runs of India in the ICC Under-19 World Cup final at Potchefstroom.
For India, Ravi Bishnoi bagged 4 wickets for 30 runs, SS Mishra took 2 wickets for 25 while Jaiswal took the other wicket.
After winning the toss Bangladesh captain Akbar Ali chose to bowl first and put India under pressure, not letting them score freely and getting the crucial early wicket of Divyansh Saxena when India were on 9.
YBK Jaiswal and NT Tilak Varma added 94 runs in the 2nd wicket stand. Tanzim Hasan Sakib made the much-needed breakthrough for Bangladesh sending back Varma for 38. Then Rakibul Hasan strike to make 3rd breakthrough for Bangladesh sending back skipper Priyam Garg for 7.
Left-hand medium-pacer Shoriful Islam strikes twice to increase pressure on India U-19s. The left-hand pacer got Jaiswal 88 off 120 and SA Veer 0 in the 5th and 6th ball of his 7th over and India lost their 5th wicket to 156.
From 156/3, India all out for 177 and lost 7 wickets for only 21 runs.
India lost their 6th wickets to 168 when DC Jurel run out by Shamim Hossain/†Akbar Ali. Ravi Bishnoi also being dismissed by Shoriful Islam's through and Atharva Ankolekar dismissed by Avishek Das. It was slower form Avishek and Ankolekar aims to chop it down to deep third man, but Atharva instead drags it back onto the stumps.
Avishek Das also got Kartik Tyagi. Sushant Mishra dismissed by Tanzim Hasan Sakib as a last man and India all out for 177 in 47.2 over.
For Bangladesh, Avishek Das took 3 wickets for 40 runs. Shoriful Islam and Tanzim Hasan Sakib bagged 2 wickets each while Rakibul Hasan took the other wickets.
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Trudeau threatens retaliation Trump’s decision
- More than 100 motorcycles detained in Singra
- Govt extends general holidays till April 14
- Singair municipal area ‘lockdown’
- 55 coronavirus patients recovered
- Ban on flights extended till Apr 14
- One more dies from coronavirus, taking total to 9
- 18 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 88
- 70 Bangladeshis contracted coronavirus in Spain
- BKMEA decides factories to be shut till April 11
- Colombia coal mine explosion kills 11
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- Jazz artist Ellis Marsalis dies of coronavirus at 85
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tests coronavirus negative
- Not even one death is desirable: PM
- Barcelona vice president diagnosed with coronavirus
- Heat wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Sania Mirza raises Rs 1.25 crore in 1 week to help the poor
- Heavy rain caused flood amid Corona outbreak in Spain
- COVID-19 cases, deaths rapidly increasing in appalling levels
- Five detained for spreading rumors over corona in Rangpur
- Boris Johnson`s pregnant girlfriend diagnosed with coronavirus
- Kathalbari-Shimulia ferry halted to prevent coronavirus
- Healthy newborn to coronavirus infected parents
- 34 more people tested for Coronavirus infection in Chattogram
- Coronavirus epidemic: Death toll surging to 65,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- BGMEA urges owners to shut factories until Apr 11
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Army to go tough from today
- Kurmitola Hospital to treat coronavirus patients only
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 4 held in Saudi for claiming corona is ‘punishment from Allah’
- Edu Minister for continue students’ studies at home
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- Infant, younger than a year dies of coronavirus
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- No new coronavirus case detected in last 24 hrs: IEDCR
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Construction work of Akij’s corona hospital resumed
- What Trudeau’s wife says after healing from coronavirus
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000