Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
Published: 03:40 PM, 13 October 2019 Updated: 05:06 PM, 13 October 2019
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was addressing as a chief guest at the occasion of International Day for Disaster Reduction at Bangabandhu International Conference Center. Photo: BSS
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday said Bangladesh is now a role model in disaster management along with development in the world as she addressed a function on International Day for Disaster Reduction.
“Bangladesh became a role model not only in disaster management but also in development in the world”, she told the function at Bangabandhu International Conference Center.
Mentioning government’s different successes in disaster management, Sheikh Hasina said “Our government has achieved a great success in reducing risk and losses of lives and properties caused by cyclone, flood, drought and earthquake which earned international community’s acclamation.”
The prime minister said in July last Bangladesh hosted Dhaka meeting of the Global Commission on Adaptation, where the former Secretary General of UN declared establishing a “Global Centre for Adaptation-Dhaka Office” as a symbol of Bangladesh’s outstanding performance to this end.
Sheikh Hasina said the people of Bangladesh will have to live facing various natural disasters due to its geographical location, adding “So, Bangladesh will always have to be ready to face any kind of man-made or natural disasters”.
The prime minister also directed concerned authorities to take necessary steps to avoid losses of lives and properties caused by natural disasters.
State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief Dr Md Enamur Rahman, Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Disaster Management and Relief Ministry AB Tajul Islam and Senior Secretary of the Ministry Md Shah Kamal, among others, spoke on the occasion.
Two disaster resilient house owners expressed their gratitude to the prime minister for making them such abode. The government has built such 11604 houses for disaster victims.
The premier distributed Cyclone Preparedness Program (CPP) Award among three out of 82 best volunteers for their outstanding contributions to disaster management.
Earlier, a video documentary was screened describing the activities of the ministry in disaster management.
- Mir Mosharraf Hossain’s 172nd birth anniv today
- 2 killed as truck falls into ditch
- Robber killed in Ashuganj gunfight, 3 held
- Happy Birthday to legend of Bengali Literature
- DNCC to introduce 333 service
- 713 dengue patients undergoing treatment in country
- The voyage home: Japan’s Hayabusa-2 probe to head for Earth
- Govt plans 12pc power from renewable sources
- Ranga under fire in parliament
- Chahar picks up another T20 triple in 3 days
- 2nd int’l symposium on community health workers Nov 22-24
- Yabas of crore taka recovered
- JS passes Bangladesh Flag Vessels (Protection) Bill
- President approves February vote in turbulent Guinea
- Rebels kill 5 in DR Congo as army offensive rages
- China aims to build its own Yellowstone on Tibetan plateau
- Train claims a meritorious girl
- Shakib could be handy for us: Mithun
- Khulna rail under threat of syndicate
- Folk Fest-19 begins Thursday
- Kabil Ali made Chattogram bowling coach
- BGB crushes drug worth 2 cr
- Fuad returns
- India’s likely XI for 1st Test against Bangladesh
- Pedestrian killed in Faridpur road crash
- ‘Nation will not forgive who make derogatory remarks over PM’
- Non-fiction book fair begins at DU
- IU ‘A’ unit entry test result published
- Must label Israeli settlement products: EU Court
- ACC interrogates Partex chairman
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ heads towards Bangladesh
- Tahsan’s realize after 7yrs
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- Losing voice was ‘darkest moment’ of my life: Shakira
- Body of Badal arrives this evening
- Dreadful ‘Bulbul’ near Sundarbans
- 9 districts that will come under signal 10
- Tigers face India in 2nd T20I today
- Bulbul hits Kolkata, Kills 1