Bangladesh ahead despite Ervine`s ton
Published: 05:14 PM, 22 February 2020 Updated: 05:16 PM, 22 February 2020
Late strike keeps Bangladesh ahead against visiting Zimbabwe in the only Test. Stand-in captain Craig Ervine's century and opener Prince Masvaure's fifty helped Zimbabwe to post 228/6 at stumps day-1 in the only Test against Bangladesh at Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium today. Off-spinner Naeey Hasan took four wickets while pacer Abu Jayed picked up the rest two wickets for Bangladesh.
After winning the toss Zimbabwe chose to bat first. Two Bangladesh pacers Abu Jayed and Ebadat Hossain keep the Zimbabwe openers under pressure with 6 maiden overs. Rahi, had Kasuza caught by Nayeem Hasan at gully with a perfect outswinger for 2 and Zimbabwe lost their first wicket to 7.
Visiting Zimbabwe came up with an excellent performance to reach a comfortable 80-1 at lunch on an opening day.
Ervine and Masvaure added 111-run for the second wicket stand, following the early departure of opener Kevin Kasuza (2), who was undone by an excellent outswinger of Abu Jayed Rahi.
As the duo’s calm batting after Zimbabwe’s decision to bat first indicated a tough day for Bangladesh, they made a strong comeback in the midst of the post-lunch session when off-spinner Nayeem Hasan dealt a double strike.
Nayeem firstly lured Masvaure for a drive and removed him with a return catch after the batsman hit his career-best 64 off 152, hitting nine boundaries. It was Masvaure’s second Test fifty in which he showed an unwavering resolve yet again.
Nayeem then got the better of seasoned campaigner Brendan Taylor, who dragged a delivery onto his stump to be out on 10.
Nayeem strikes again after the tea break to get the wicket of Sikandar Raza before went out he scored 18 off 62 when Zimbabwe were 174/4 in 70.1 over.
Abu Jayed gave Bangladesh fifth wicket sending back Timycen Maruma for 7. Nayeem Hasan strikes again in the 89th over to get centurion Craig Ervine 107 off 227. Zimbabwe finished the scoring 228 for 6 in 90 overs. RW Chakabva (9) and Donald Tiripano (0) were in the batting.
- 10 newborns infected with coronavirus
- Two more coronavirus cases identified in Sherpur
- Coronavirus infection mounting to 1.6 million
- Cumilla reports another COVID-19 patient
- Language hero Sufia Ahmed dies
- Health officials coronavirus infected in N’ganj
- ‘YFSA’ stands beside 200 families
- Coronavirus death toll mounting to .10 million
- Medical aid in hilly areas by Air Force’s helicopter
- EU could fail to coronavirus
- Coronavirus isolation unit at Titumir College
- Coast Guard DDG promoted to rear admiral
- 244 Bangladeshis infected with Coronavirus in Singapore
- 286 sailors of US warship detected coronavirus
- Two more infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Drug dealer detained with 78-kg marijuana
- President calls for prayer at home on night of Shab-e-Barat
- Food distributed among 800 families in Nandail
- Measures to do at hospital to refrain from COVID-19
- PM urges everyone to devote with teachings of Shab-e-Barat
- Barricades on roads in Kotalipara
- People rushing to banks for withdrawing money
- DNCC opens hotline for relief
- CMP monitors home quarantine through mobile app
- 5 rounds of rocket attacks at US base in Afghanistan
- BB reschedule transactions time
- Locals lock down Munshefpara
- Govt to provide all supports for protein production
- NY man contracting corona while buying toothpaste after 12 days of quarantine
- Teenager dies with cold, cough in Ctg
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Army to go tough from today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- 150 Saudi royal family members infected with coronavirus