Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
Published: 10:36 PM, 19 June 2019 Updated: 10:57 AM, 20 June 2019
Bangladesh has achieved the fastest growth in the Asia-Pacific economies comprised of 45 countries, according to the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
In the outgoing fiscal year of 2018-19, the AD said, the country attained 7.9 percent growth which was fastest expansion since 1974.
The bank predicted that the growth will be 8 percent in the FY2019 and FY2020, terming it a new record.
“Bangladesh will continue to be the fastest in the Asia-Pacific,” the bank said in its Asian Development Outlook (ADO).
ADB Country Director for its Bangladesh resident mission Manmohan Parkash handed over the ADO to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her Sangsad Bhaban office on Wednesday.
The ADO, the annual publication of the ADB, evaluates and forecasts economic performance of the 45 Asian and Pacific countries.
It said the growth will be moderate across most of developing Asia -- 5.7 percent in 2019 and 5.6 percent in 2020 from 6.2 percent in 2017 and 5.9 percent in 2018.
South Asia will see buck trend of slowing growth in Asia-- 6.8 percent in 2019 and 6.9 percent in 2020.
The ADO said the key attributors of this growth are strong leadership, good governance, stable government and continued political calm, sound macroeconomic policy and right development priorities.
The drivers of the growth have been identified as higher public investment, stronger consumption demand, revival in exports, improved power supply and higher growth in private sector credit.
The ADO pointed out that Bangladesh has favourable trade prospects despite a weaker global growth while exports and remittances are likely to increase further.
It also mentioned that strong public investment due to continued policy environment and expeditious implementation of large infrastructure projects and higher tax collection with expanded tax base will move Bangladesh economy further.
It said Bangladesh’s banking system reforms will attract higher private investment which will support the growth.
Sheikh Hasina said the government is gradually advancing the economy in a well-planned manner. “We’ve done our analysis before formulating the budget this year also,” she said.
Briefing reporters, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim said, the Prime Minister mentioned that when Awami league was in the opposition, her party had also taken various types of economic programmes for the sake of the country.
“Our Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman had a vision for developing the country in totality and reducing the gap between the rich and poor and urban and rural areas. We’re working towards that direction,” the Prime Minister said.
She said the government is setting up 100 economic zones in the country where investors from across the globe can set up their industries.
Manmohan Parkash highly appreciated the government’s economic plan under the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, saying all of its development programmes are people-centric.
Principal Secretary M Nojibur Rahman and Finance Secretary Abdur Rouf Talukder were present at the meeting.
- Four killed in Kutubdia boat capsize
- 14 gamblers-drug dealers detained in Mymensingh
- Govt to shut 3 crore illegal smartphones
- Myanmar on financial surveillance!
- Pakistan conducts successful missile test
- No high-rise buildings along sea: PM
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 450 of 1200 posts vacant
- Preparation for Dhaka-10 by-polls completed: Returning Officer
- Rape accused detained in Narayanganj
- BNP`s politics stuck in Khaleda`s illness: Hasan
- Interest of postal saving will be revisited: Kamal
- Teacher takes salary without signing attendance sheet!
- Three robbers detained in Jamalpur
- Mysterious ship washes up Irish coast
- Diamond Princess passengers disembark after quarantine ends
- 6 girls injured after tree falls in Noakhali
- FIFA cancels planed meeting due to coronavirus
- Walton to export smartphones in US
- Padma Bridge rail route being connected with Trans-Asian network
- Match officials for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series
- TCB preparing for Ramadan
- Tomato to get immaculate skin
- Mashrafe’s farewell after BAN vs ZIM series!
- Bangladesh to take on Pakistan tomorrow
- ‘Problems can be solved by forming joint working group’
- Mehazabien comes with new look
- SC bar association polls on March 11,12
- AL local government nomination board meets today
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Soumya to get married this month
- Soumya with future wife
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Good news to honey farmers
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Coronavirus: Chinese hospitals discharge 4,740 recovered patients
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Samsung unveils new foldable phone Galaxy Z Flip
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation