Bangla Bond debuts on London Stock Exchange
Published: 09:04 PM, 11 November 2019
The first-ever Bangladeshi Taka-denominated bond dubbed ‘Bangla Bond’, amounting equivalent to US$10 million, debuted today on the London Stock Exchange (LSE).
The Bangla Bond was listed on the LSE by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a private sector arm of World Bank, at a ring bell ceremony at 8 am London time, said a press release of Bangladesh High Commission in London.
Following the ring bell ceremony, an ‘Investor’s Roundtable’ to showcase Bangladesh’s growth story and investment opportunities was held, jointly organized by the IFC and LSE.
Speaking on the occasion, Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal highlighted Bangladesh’s robust economic growth and major macro-economic development under the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
He hoped Bangla Bond would help to raise money from overseas investment, which will be invested back in Bangladesh for further strengthening its private sector.
This bond will have a 3-year maturity, with a 6.3 percent annual rate of interest. The IFC will be the guarantor of this bond in the international market.
Prime Minister’s Private Industry and Investment Affairs Adviser Salman Fazlur Rahman and Bangladesh High Commissioner to United Kingdom Saida Muna Tasneem also attended the enlistment ceremony and the roundtable.
IFC Vice-President for Asia and Pacific Nena Stoiljkovic also spoke.
A large number of UK government and IFC officials and investors from UK and Bangladesh were present.
Besides, the LSE also hosted a press briefing on the debut of Bangla Bond at its premises.
Mustafa Kamal and Salman Fazlur Rahman addressed the briefing, alongside Nena Stoiljkovic, IFC Treasury Client Solutions Director Keshav Gaur and IFC South Asia Director Mengistu Alemayehu.
Bangladesh High Commission in London also hosted a ‘Bangladesh Investment Dialogue’ today to celebrate the ‘The Ring, The Bell’ ceremony of the listing of the ‘Bangla Bond’.
- 1st Bangladeshi woman in US mainstream politics
- Stokes apologized but punished
- ‘Infrastructural developed schools are not good schools’
- PM for worthy citizens through sports
- Recruitment at Epyllion Group
- What thinks Domingo for losing series!
- Youths rich in tech knowledge are the future leader: Palak
- JMB men arrested in Khulna on 10-day remand
- Disabled child died after fallen from the roof
- Death toll climbs 22 in Turkish earthquake
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Xi says China faces `grave situation` as virus toll hits 41
- Horse race held in Mithapukur
- Delta Airlines fined for dropping Muslim paxs
- Gambia Justice Minister praised Bangladesh
- 2 bakers fined TK 6 lakh Jhalokati
- Defendant mobbed over threatening plaintiff
- Election manifesto to be given highest priority
- Housewife killed over dowry dispute, 3 arrested
- Pakistan threats India over World Cup!
- Ranveer Singh denies sexism!
- 5 detained with 102 ltr liquor
- Bangladesh Embassy in China launches ‘hotline’ service
- No bricks in public works
- 4,348 affected by cold-related disease in 24 hrs
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- Teacher commits suicide over debt burden
- Jubo League’s ultimatum to eliminate Dipu
- Palestine retains Bangabandhu Gold Cup crown
- Bangladesh Air Force chief left for Egypt visit
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack