Bangabandhu satellite to be launched May 7
Published: 01:31 PM, 25 April 2018
The first-ever communications satellite of Bangladesh ‘Bangabandhu Satellite-1’ would be launched into the orbit from Florida on May 4.
Mustafa Jabbar, minister of the Post, Telecommunication and Information Technology Ministry, provided the information at a meeting in Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) in the capital on Wednesday.
Earlier, the possible launch of the satellite was set on May 4, but now it has been deferred to May 7.
The Bangabandhu-1 satellite will be launched from Cape Canaveral in the Florida State of USA after pressing the switch by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Dhaka. It will shortly be orbited by a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle.
Bangladesh will emerge as the 57th member of satellite Owners Club through the launch. Countries, which have their own satellites in the world, are qualified to become members of the club.
The sophisticated and highly technical government project at a cost of Tk 2,967 crore. The satellite`s structure is being built by a French firm - Thales Alenia Space.
Bangladesh spends around US$ 14 million annually on satellite rents for running television channels, telephones and radio connectivity.
Once launched, the satellite would save around Taka 110 to Taka 120 crore annually in foreign currency as broadcasting expenditure.
Bangabandhu-1 is expected to provide services to all South Asian countries as well as Indonesia, the Philippines, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, if its frequency is properly coordinated, according to project documents.
The lifespan of the satellite will be 15 years, which will allow the country to earn $1 billion by leasing out the transponders and another $1.5 billion by selling other services.
In November 2015, the BTRC signed a $248-million deal with Thales Alenia Space to manufacture and launch the country`s first satellite.
The two ground stations that will control the satellite will be built at Gazipur`s Joydebpur and Rangamati`s Betbunia on the land owned by Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Ltd.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia