Bangabandhu satellite to be launched May 7
Published: 01:31 PM, 25 April 2018
The first-ever communications satellite of Bangladesh ‘Bangabandhu Satellite-1’ would be launched into the orbit from Florida on May 4.
Mustafa Jabbar, minister of the Post, Telecommunication and Information Technology Ministry, provided the information at a meeting in Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) in the capital on Wednesday.
Earlier, the possible launch of the satellite was set on May 4, but now it has been deferred to May 7.
The Bangabandhu-1 satellite will be launched from Cape Canaveral in the Florida State of USA after pressing the switch by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Dhaka. It will shortly be orbited by a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle.
Bangladesh will emerge as the 57th member of satellite Owners Club through the launch. Countries, which have their own satellites in the world, are qualified to become members of the club.
The sophisticated and highly technical government project at a cost of Tk 2,967 crore. The satellite`s structure is being built by a French firm - Thales Alenia Space.
Bangladesh spends around US$ 14 million annually on satellite rents for running television channels, telephones and radio connectivity.
Once launched, the satellite would save around Taka 110 to Taka 120 crore annually in foreign currency as broadcasting expenditure.
Bangabandhu-1 is expected to provide services to all South Asian countries as well as Indonesia, the Philippines, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, if its frequency is properly coordinated, according to project documents.
The lifespan of the satellite will be 15 years, which will allow the country to earn $1 billion by leasing out the transponders and another $1.5 billion by selling other services.
In November 2015, the BTRC signed a $248-million deal with Thales Alenia Space to manufacture and launch the country`s first satellite.
The two ground stations that will control the satellite will be built at Gazipur`s Joydebpur and Rangamati`s Betbunia on the land owned by Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Ltd.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today