Bandits kill 30 in northwest Nigeria attack: police
Published: 10:37 PM, 16 February 2020
Armed gangs killed 30 people in raids on two villages in an area of northwest Nigeria plagued by cattle rustlers and kidnappers, police said on Sunday.
Dozens of gunmen on motorcycles attacked the villages of Tsauwa and Dankar in Katsina state on Friday, shooting residents and burning homes.
“The bandits killed 21 people in Tsauwa and another nine in nearby Dankar,” Katsina police spokesman Gambo Isah said.
“Most of those killed were old people and children who couldn’t escape.”
Police and soldiers deployed in the area after the attack and arrested one suspect, Isah said.
The attackers burnt homes, livestock and food supplies before fleeing,
said Tukur Mu’azu, traditional chief of Batsari, a district the straddles the
two attacked villages.
He gave the same death toll as the police for what he described as an “unprovoked attack”.
“I have never seen such destruction in my life,” the local leader told AFP as he attended the burial of the victims.
Rural communities in Katsina state, the home region of President Muhammadu Buhari, have frequently been targeted by gangs of cattle thieves and kidnappers abducting people for ransom.
The gangs launch attacks from their bases in a vast forest straddling Katsina and several neighbouring states.
Residents across the affected areas have clubbed together to fill the security void by forming self-defence groups, but these vigilante outfits have often served to fuel the violence.
An armed gang on Tuesday burnt to death 21 people, including 16 members of a single-family, in a reprisal raid in neighbouring Kaduna state to avenge a vigilante attack on their hideout.
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- Sani asks Shakib about his silence
- Coronavirus: First-class cricketers donate 15-day salary
- DU to remain closed till Apr 11, Noboborsho programs postponed
- Primary class on Sangsad TV begins April 5
- Australia scientists begin test of potential COVID-19 vaccines
- Share market closed till April 11
- Request for 1yr VAT suspension in garment industry
- Britain, France and Germany send medical aid to Iran
- 8 Habiganj people test negative for coronavirus
- Holiday bank hour extended
- Youth shot dead by BSF along Thakurgaon border
- 2 corona deaths reported in Qatar are Bangladeshi
- Does mosquito spread COVID-19?
- 18 Bangladeshi die of coronavirus in NY 24 hrs
- Night temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Law minister condoles death of Shamsur Rahman
- Singer Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus transforms before revealing symptoms: Study
- 2 arrested in Gazipur for spreading coronavirus rumors
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- DC distributes relief at night to maintain social distance
- Family of 4 all die of coronavirus in a week
- 327 Japanese left Bangladesh
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- England plans to return field by early May
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19