Ballon d'Or 1sts: Modric wins, Hegerberg takes women's award
Published: 04:56 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 04:56 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Luka Modric ended the long reign of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo by winning the Ballon d'Or for the first time on Monday, while another first saw Norwegian forward Ada Hegerberg win the inaugural women's trophy.
Messi and Ronaldo had won every Ballon d'Or since 2008, and usually fought only each other for the greatest recognition among soccer's elite. Women's fight for recognition on the biggest stage took a big step with Hegerberg's award.
Modric won the Champions League with Real Madrid and then guided Croatia to the World Cup final in July. The midfielder was voted player of the tournament.
“As a kid we all have dreams. My dream was to play for a big club and win important trophies,” Modric said. “The Ballon d'Or was more than just a dream for me and it is really an honor and a privilege to hold this trophy.”
Ronaldo was second in the polling followed by France forward Antoine Griezmann. France's teen star, Kylian Mbappe, was fourth. Brazil star Neymar was third last year but only 12th this time. Messi was fifth in the voting, having been runner-up to Ronaldo the past two years and in the top three every year since 2007. Modric had never previously been in the top three.
“2018 is a dream year for me,” the 33-year-old Modric said. “Throughout my career I realized hard work, persistence and belief in yourself in difficult moments are the foundations of success.”
Modric's father was shown on the big screen wiping away tears during the ceremony at the imperious Grand Palais in Paris.
Ronaldo missed out on a record sixth award, which would have moved him one ahead of Messi. The last player to win it before those two started dominating world soccer awards was Brazil midfielder Kaka with AC Milan in 2007.
Ronaldo also won the Champions League last season with Modric, before leaving to join Juventus. He scored a hat trick against Spain at the World Cup but he failed to make an impression when Portugal lost to Uruguay in the round of 16.
Mbappe and Griezmann scored in the 4-2 World Cup final win against Croatia. Mbappe earned a domestic treble with Paris Saint-Germain. Griezmann also scored twice for Atletico Madrid in the Europa League final win against Marseille.
France coach Didier Deschamps said a France player should have won the award.
“They deserve it because of what they did with the national team at the World Cup and also because of the trophies they won with their clubs,” Deschamps said.
The 19-year-old Mbappe - the youngest player to score in a World Cup final - won the Raymond Kopa Trophy awarded to the best young player.
France Football magazine has been awarding the Ballon d'Or since 1956, and created a women's award for the first time this year.
Hegerberg is a three-time Women's Champions League winner with French side Lyon and scored a tournament-record 15 times last season.
“I want to say thanks to France Football. It's a huge step for women's football,” Hegerberg said. “I want to end this speech with a message to all young girls in the world. Believe in yourselves.”
The outspoken 23-year-old Hegerberg said she won't play for Norway at the Women's World Cup in France next June.
Taking a stand against what she describes as a lack of respect for female players in Norway, she hasn't played for the national team since 2017 when it crashed out of the group stage of the Women's European Championship without scoring a goal.
Speaking in an interview shortly before collecting her Ballon d'Or, Hegerberg told The Associated Press on Monday she has no plans to reconsider her decision taken to preserve her "authenticity and my values, as a person, as a footballer."
“A lot of things need to be done to make the conditions better for women who play football,” she said. “It's all about how we respect women's football. I don't think the respect has been there.
“Sometimes you have to take tough decisions to stay true to yourself. I let them know, quite clearly, what I found wasn't working.”
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire