BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
Published: 10:30 AM, 19 March 2019 Updated: 11:40 AM, 19 March 2019
A student of Bangladesh University of Professionals was killed as a bus ran over him in the capital’s Pragati Sarani’s Narda Road. Later, the police detained the bus driver. After the incident, agitated students and locals blocked roads in front of Jamuna Future Park.
The student was killed when a ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus ran over him in front of Jamuna Future Park at around 7:30 am on Tuesday.
The deceased was identified as Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury, 20, son of Brig General (retd) Arif Ahmed Chowdhury of Bashundhara area. Abrar was a student of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), according to Gulshan Police Station.
After the accident, the classmates of the deceased student seized the bus, but the driver and helper escaped, according to witnesses.
Meanwhile, road blockers were chanting slogans demanding fair investigation and prosecution of the accused. Due to the blockade, traffic on both sides of the road was closed. Additional police were deployed at the scene. The incident happened in the Traffic Discipline Week.
Witnesses said that a bus of BUP stood in front of Jamuna Future Park. Abrar’s bus was going to get on the bus around 7:30 am. At that time, the bus of Gazipur-bound ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus hit him. He died on the spot. Later, agitated students blocked the road and started the protest.
Gulshan Police Station SI Mosharraf Hossain said that the bus was detained and sent to the police station.
Confirming the incident, Gulshan Police Station Sub-Inspector Jahangir Alam said that the bus driver Sirajul Islam was detained.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand