BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
Published: 10:30 AM, 19 March 2019 Updated: 11:40 AM, 19 March 2019
A student of Bangladesh University of Professionals was killed as a bus ran over him in the capital’s Pragati Sarani’s Narda Road. Later, the police detained the bus driver. After the incident, agitated students and locals blocked roads in front of Jamuna Future Park.
The student was killed when a ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus ran over him in front of Jamuna Future Park at around 7:30 am on Tuesday.
The deceased was identified as Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury, 20, son of Brig General (retd) Arif Ahmed Chowdhury of Bashundhara area. Abrar was a student of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), according to Gulshan Police Station.
After the accident, the classmates of the deceased student seized the bus, but the driver and helper escaped, according to witnesses.
Meanwhile, road blockers were chanting slogans demanding fair investigation and prosecution of the accused. Due to the blockade, traffic on both sides of the road was closed. Additional police were deployed at the scene. The incident happened in the Traffic Discipline Week.
Witnesses said that a bus of BUP stood in front of Jamuna Future Park. Abrar’s bus was going to get on the bus around 7:30 am. At that time, the bus of Gazipur-bound ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus hit him. He died on the spot. Later, agitated students blocked the road and started the protest.
Gulshan Police Station SI Mosharraf Hossain said that the bus was detained and sent to the police station.
Confirming the incident, Gulshan Police Station Sub-Inspector Jahangir Alam said that the bus driver Sirajul Islam was detained.
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- `There is a chance to joint invest in Bangladesh`
- BNP’s anarchy will not be tolerated: Hasan
- Sachin picks Shakib in his World Cup XI
- Zimbabwe inflation rate soars to 175%
- Train crash kills 9 with new weds
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- HC recommends punishment against 50 including Masud
- Zuma denies being `king of corrupt people`
- Nusrat murder: HC orders probe against ADM Enamul
- Shakib included in CWC19 best XI
- Fired DIG Mizan questioning at prison gate
- Primary students dropout rate decreased
- Jaffer, Ramanayeke as Tigers batting, bowling coach in SL tour
- Will be apologising to Williamson `For the rest of my life`
- Eid-ul-Azha advanced train ticket from Jul 29
- Partial lunar eclipse Wednesday
- New wave of cybercrime in Pakistan
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Non-government employees, slum dwellers to get flat: PM
- Temperature may rise over country
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes
- South Korean PM Lee leaves Dhaka
- Shah Rukh Khan to produce horror series for Netflix
- Russia`s Real Reasons for Partnering with Iran
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Ershad’s 2nd namaz-e-janaza held
- Pickup van hits covered van in Gazipur, kills 3
- Over 1,000 Google Play Store apps hiding a nasty secret
- Queen salutes England after World Cup glory
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- MP Firoz Rashid’s daughter-in-law Merina shot
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Saima rape, murder: Prime accused confesses to crime
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- China assures to work to resolve Rohingya crisis: PM
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- CU gets its first woman proctor
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Kader Siddiqui quits Oikyafront
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped