BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
Published: 10:30 AM, 19 March 2019 Updated: 11:40 AM, 19 March 2019
A student of Bangladesh University of Professionals was killed as a bus ran over him in the capital’s Pragati Sarani’s Narda Road. Later, the police detained the bus driver. After the incident, agitated students and locals blocked roads in front of Jamuna Future Park.
The student was killed when a ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus ran over him in front of Jamuna Future Park at around 7:30 am on Tuesday.
The deceased was identified as Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury, 20, son of Brig General (retd) Arif Ahmed Chowdhury of Bashundhara area. Abrar was a student of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), according to Gulshan Police Station.
After the accident, the classmates of the deceased student seized the bus, but the driver and helper escaped, according to witnesses.
Meanwhile, road blockers were chanting slogans demanding fair investigation and prosecution of the accused. Due to the blockade, traffic on both sides of the road was closed. Additional police were deployed at the scene. The incident happened in the Traffic Discipline Week.
Witnesses said that a bus of BUP stood in front of Jamuna Future Park. Abrar’s bus was going to get on the bus around 7:30 am. At that time, the bus of Gazipur-bound ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus hit him. He died on the spot. Later, agitated students blocked the road and started the protest.
Gulshan Police Station SI Mosharraf Hossain said that the bus was detained and sent to the police station.
Confirming the incident, Gulshan Police Station Sub-Inspector Jahangir Alam said that the bus driver Sirajul Islam was detained.
- Rohingya man among two killed in gunfight
- Midnight bomb panic in Paltan, Khamarbari
- AL leader slaughtered in Lama
- Countrywide water transport strike underway
- England face Ireland in 1st Test today
- Gold price further hiked amid upswing intl market
- Pickup claims 3 worker lives
- Renu lynching: Prime accused arrested
- Chelsea beat Barcelona in Japan friendly
- Hajj Health Tips
- DU students protest continues for 3rd Day
- Airbus’ new concept: ‘Bird of prey’ plane
- Ill race of making bridges
- S Korea’s warning shot at Russ army jet
- Malinga set to retire after 1st Bangladesh ODI
- Mithun, Mushfiqur star as Bangladesh win warm-up
- Quader orders to repair flood-hit roads before Eid
- Blackout forced 4m Venezuelan to leave country
- Renu`s brother heartbreaking status
- Boris Johnson to be next UK PM
- Chairmanship odds in JP: Rowshan`s ambiguous state
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- Minni sent to jail
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- How to get HSC result
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- Humanity for animal !
- Court denies bail for Minni
- “Macedon too small for you, one day you will conquer world”
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Indian teenage TV actor killed in road crash
- Zimbabwe not taking part Bangladesh T20 tri-series
- We want to grab 1st place in producing fish: PM