BU students movement withdrawn
Published: 05:59 PM, 24 February 2021 Updated: 06:00 PM, 24 February 2021
The students of the University of Barisal (BU) ended the movement through the press conference held on Wednesday afternoon
The students of the University of Barisal (BU) ended the movement with the assurance of arresting the miscreants involved in the attack on the students and ensuring the incident would not be repeated in the future.
The protesters said this after discussions with all groups on Wednesday (February 24).
Earlier in the day, the protesting students held a meeting with the representatives of local administration, bus owners’ association, transport workers’ union and Rupatoly Housing Society of the city organized by the university authorities. They held the meeting for about two hours.
VC Dr. Chadekul Arefin, Proctor Subrata Kumar Das, Additional DC Prashant Kumar Roy, Barishal Metropolitan Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Moktar Hossain, Sadar Upazila UNO Munibur Rahman, Barishal-Patuakhali Bus Owners Association President Mominuddin Kalu, president of Rupatoly Housing Area Home Owners Association and others were present in the meeting.
After the meeting, Fazlul Haque Rajib, a BU student, organized a press conference and read out a written statement on behalf of the students.
“Several people have been identified in the attack on the students at midnight on February 17. The law enforcement agencies have assured us to arrest all those involved in the incident. Representatives of the bus owners’ association, transport workers’ union and local homeowners have condemned the incident and assured such incidents will not happen again in the future,” he said.
“In such a situation, we have decided to withdraw from the vigorous movement that increases the suffering of the people including road blockades,” added Fazlul Haque Rajib.
About this, VC Dr. Chadekul Arefin said the demand came from the students while sitting in meetings with different groups. There has been a fruitful discussion of the various demands of the students. In view of this, the students have withdrawn the ongoing movement.
“The attack on the students was unfortunate. But none of the miscreants involved in the attack were transport owners or workers. We have assured the students no such incident will happen again in the future,” said Mominuddin Kalu, president of the Bus Owners Association.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Moktar Hossain said the police have already arrested two people who attacked the students. The process of bringing the rest under the law is underway subject to investigation. Besides, the police patrol team and security have been beefed up in the Rupatoly area.