BPL begins today
Published: 11:06 AM, 5 January 2019 Updated: 11:06 AM, 5 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The sixth edition of Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) T20 begins on Saturday at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in the capital’s Mirpur. The 35-day tournament will end on February 8 following the final at the same Stadium.
There are seven participant teams for this edition of BPL. The teams are - Dhaka Dynamites, Rajshahi Kings, Khulna Titans, Rangpur Riders, Comilla Victorians, Chittagong Vikings and Sylhet Sixers.
Defending champions Rangpur Riders will take on Chittagong Vikings in the opening match of the tournament while last year’s runner-up Dhaka Dynamites face Rajshahi Kings in the day’s other opening day’s fixture.
Like the previous year, matches will be played on three venues across the country. Sylhet International Cricket Stadium (SICS), Sylhet is the latest venue after SBNCS and Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium (ZACS) of Chattogram.
Private satellite channel Gazi TV (GTV) and Maasranga Television are the two official broadcast partners from Bangladesh for this year’s BPL. Rabbithole app will also provide live streaming for both Android and iOS users.
Some of the famous superstars around the world want to play this year’s BPL competition for the first time.
Among them, Ex South African batsman AB de Villiers was signed by Rangpur Riders. Rangpur also signed England batsman Alex Hales. Comilla Victorians have roped in another Aussie batsman Steve Smith. Sylhet Sixers brought in Australia opener David Warner and appointed him as the captain of the side. Sylhet also signed spinner Sandeep Lamichhane who will be the first ever from Nepal to play in the BPL.
Each team can field maximum four foreign players in the playing 11 in this year. Previously five players were allowed to play in the eleven.
Every match-day will feature two matches with the first match starting from 12:30 pm and the second match will begins from 5:20 pm. Matches which will be held on Friday will have different match time as the first one will kick off from 2 pm and the second match will start from 7:20 pm.
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Panchbibi
- 15 Day training for upazila info service officers begins
- Step against entrants with arms in airport
- CSK to field first aginst RCB
- Two students killed in road crashes in Munshiganj, Gazipur
- Bangladesh Archery team to fly to Bangkok Sunday
- Quader talks to physician
- 3 brands to spend 250 crores on Aamir
- Many `march for love` in New Zealand as mosques reopen
- Rowshan deputy opposition in JS
- 19 drug dealers’ surrender in Feni
- Kamal visits Mosharraf Rubel
- 8 Indian nationals extradited
- Schoolboy killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Boro cultivation exceeds target in C’nawabganj
- Jet Airways hangs flight to Dhaka
- Modi greets Imran Khan on Pakistan National Day
- Taskin chooses World Cup over his prolonged career
- Minister for Human rights violation free Bangladesh
- One killed in Gazipur road crash
- Rohingyas’ involve spreading crime
- Messi ruled out of Argentina`s next match with groin injury
- Case filed over killing of Bilaichhari upazila AL president
- IS ‘caliphate’ totally eliminated
- Water crisis in health complex
- Bipasha Hayat with family on birthday
- Finance Minister visit ailing Quader
- Quader’s condition improves, sleeping pills reduced
- Sheikh Hasina nominated lifetime DUCSU member
- 60 burned to death in a bus collision in Ghana
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed