BNP wants to hold rally at Nayapaltan
Published: 02:02 PM, 4 January 2018 Updated: 03:12 PM, 4 January 2018
Logo of Bangladesh Nationalist Party
Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) urged the government to allow them to hold its planned rally at Nayapaltan area of Dhaka on Friday as a venue alternative to Suhrawardy Udyan.
Speaking at a press briefing at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office on Wednesday, party senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi urged this.
He said, they have sought a fresh permission from the police and South City Corporation authorities for holding the programme at Nayapaltan as an Islamic party was allowed to hold a rally at Suhrawardy Udyan the same day.
Earlier on Monday, BNP announced to hold a rally in the city and bring out black flag processions across the country on January 5 to observe the day as ‘Democracy Killing Day’ to register its protest against 10th parliamentary polls held on that day in 2014.
“We would like to believe that the government will show respect for BNP’s democratic rights, and give it a scope for holding a peaceful rally by providing permission for the programme,” Rizvi said.
The BNP leader said, “We also seek permission for holding the rally in front of our Nayapaltan central office on January 5 if Suhrawardy Udyan is not allowed to be used as a venue.”
The government has given an unknown Islamic party the permission for holding a rally at Suhrawardy Udyan on January 5 ignoring the application of the country’s major party BNP, Rizvi alleged.
He also said the government has exposed its vindictive policy towards BNP by not giving it permission for the rally at Suhrawardy Udyan.
- Drug paddler caught in DB trap
- PM urges dev partners to trim down conditions
- ‘No difficulty in Padma Bridge for coronavirus’
- Youth held for selling fake question paper in Lalmonirhat
- Appoint doctors in prison hospital’s vacant posts: HC
- Taposh’s manifesto promises to build modern Dhaka
- Moyna; a brave woman entrepreneur
- Mymensingh farmers busy cultivating Boro paddy
- Jet evacuates Americans from China
- New route being built on Dhaka to Ctg-Sylhet
- Shah Rukh Khan’s cousin Noor Jehan dies of cancer
- Japanese brings back 206 evacuees from Wuhan
- UAE confirms first coronavirus cases
- ‘Deal of the Century’ best betrayal of century: Iran
- Question leaker held in capital
- ‘Bollywood does not need international audiences’
- US dropped record number of bombs in Afghanistan
- Robbing with law enforcers identity, 3 detained
- Severe floods in Brazil leave 52 dead
- 7.7 quake hits Caribbean, Tsunami warning issued
- Jamal Bhuyan stood by the cold affecteds on street
- Kobe Bryant’s body among 3 identified
- 67 foreign observers in city polls
- Light rain or drizzle likely
- Coronavirus exceeds SARS virus
- AC Milan knock out Torino to reach Coppa Italia semis
- ‘I do not want coronavirus in Bangladesh, so I will not return’
- Coronavirus: Germany confirms 3 more cases
- Trump releases long-awaited Middle-East peace plan
- India faces NZ in 3rd T20 today
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin fare Tk 15,000!
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- 3 US crew killed in Australia firefighting plane crash
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- Bangladesh meet Pakistan in 3rd T20 today
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- Hearing on writ seeking stay city polls today