BNP reconciles with reformists, picks 14 ex-MPs
Published: 09:31 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 09:31 PM, 27 November 2018
BNP has primarily nominated its 14 ex-MPs, known as 'reformists' for their role against the party during the 1/11 government in 2007, to contest the 11th parliamentary elections with its tickets.
A party senior leader said they nominated the reformist's leaders as part of their reconciliation move and thus make the party stronger ahead of the election.
The reformists leaders who have so far got BNP tickets are Abu Hena (Rajshahi-4), Alamgir Kabir (Naogaon-6) Jahiruddin Swapan (Barishal-1) Sarder Sakhwat Hossain Bakul (Narsingdi-4), Shohidul Haque Jamal (Barishaal-2), Shohidul Haque Talukder (Patuakhali-2), Ataur Rahman Angur (Narayanganj-5), Elen Bhuttu (Jhalakati-2), Najir Hossain (Sunamganj-2), Ziaul Haque Mollah (Bagura-4), GM Siraj (Bagura-5), Mofiqul Hasan Tripti (Jashore-1), Abu Yusuf Khalilur Rahman (Joypurhat-2) and Naser Rahaman (Moulvibazar-3).
Of them, Alamgir Kabir and Abu Yusuf Khalilur Rahman deserted BNP in 2007 and joined Oli Ahmed-led LDP while the others became inactive in politics after 1/11 political changeover as they together with party's then secretary general Abdul Manna Bhuiyan took position against the party seeking its vigorous reforms.
Besides, the party initially fielded children and relatives of its late and senior leaders as its candidates in different seats to use the popularity of their predecessors.
They include late party secretary-general Delwar Hossain's son Akhtar Hamid Dablu (Manikganj-2, late BNP standing committee members ASM Hanan Shah's son Reazul Hannan (Gazipur-3), Tariqul Islam's son Aninda Islam Amith (Jashore-1), Saifur Rahman's son Naser Rahaman (Moulvibazar-3, later party leaders Shamsul Islam Khan's son Mainul Islam Shanta (Manikganj-1), Harunur Rashid Khan Munnu's daughter Afroza Khan Rita (Manikganj-3), Akhtar Hamid Siddiqui's son Parvez Hamid Siddiqui (Naogaon-3), Mozhar Ali Pradhan's son Masud Rana (Joupurhat-1), Nurul Huda's son Tanvir Huda (Chandpur-2) and Kazi Anwar Hossain's son Kazi Nazmul Hossain Tapash (Brahmanbaria-5).
Besides, late BNP leader Fazlur Rahman Patal's wife Kamrunnahar Shirin (Natore-1) and missing Ilias Ali's wife Tahsina Rushdir Luna (Sylhet-2) also got party tickets.
BNP standing committee member Jamiruddin Sircar's son Naoshad Jamir also got nomination letter from Panchagarh-1 seat as his father opted not to be there in the race.
- Abdul Mannan’s namaz-e-janaza on Monday
- Picnic bus fell into ditch injures 30 in Cox’s Bazar
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Hero Alam wants to marry Popy!
- After bushfires, Australia now deals with floods!
- World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa dies at 27
- Obaidul Quader mourns death of MP Mannan
- 560-pound IS leader ‘Jabba the Jihadi’ captured in Iraq
- U-19 World Cup: Aus faces WI today
- PM mourns death of MP Mannan
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Oman Sultan Qaboos dies at 79
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Teachers-guardians’ help for cheat in exam shameful: President
- Heitham Bin Tariq sworn in as Oman’s new Sultan
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Thousands of devotees walking to Turag
- Khulna Tigers opt to bowl to ensure top in BPL
- 11 killed in US storm-flood