BNP reconciles with reformists, picks 14 ex-MPs
Published: 09:31 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 09:31 PM, 27 November 2018
BNP has primarily nominated its 14 ex-MPs, known as 'reformists' for their role against the party during the 1/11 government in 2007, to contest the 11th parliamentary elections with its tickets.
A party senior leader said they nominated the reformist's leaders as part of their reconciliation move and thus make the party stronger ahead of the election.
The reformists leaders who have so far got BNP tickets are Abu Hena (Rajshahi-4), Alamgir Kabir (Naogaon-6) Jahiruddin Swapan (Barishal-1) Sarder Sakhwat Hossain Bakul (Narsingdi-4), Shohidul Haque Jamal (Barishaal-2), Shohidul Haque Talukder (Patuakhali-2), Ataur Rahman Angur (Narayanganj-5), Elen Bhuttu (Jhalakati-2), Najir Hossain (Sunamganj-2), Ziaul Haque Mollah (Bagura-4), GM Siraj (Bagura-5), Mofiqul Hasan Tripti (Jashore-1), Abu Yusuf Khalilur Rahman (Joypurhat-2) and Naser Rahaman (Moulvibazar-3).
Of them, Alamgir Kabir and Abu Yusuf Khalilur Rahman deserted BNP in 2007 and joined Oli Ahmed-led LDP while the others became inactive in politics after 1/11 political changeover as they together with party's then secretary general Abdul Manna Bhuiyan took position against the party seeking its vigorous reforms.
Besides, the party initially fielded children and relatives of its late and senior leaders as its candidates in different seats to use the popularity of their predecessors.
They include late party secretary-general Delwar Hossain's son Akhtar Hamid Dablu (Manikganj-2, late BNP standing committee members ASM Hanan Shah's son Reazul Hannan (Gazipur-3), Tariqul Islam's son Aninda Islam Amith (Jashore-1), Saifur Rahman's son Naser Rahaman (Moulvibazar-3, later party leaders Shamsul Islam Khan's son Mainul Islam Shanta (Manikganj-1), Harunur Rashid Khan Munnu's daughter Afroza Khan Rita (Manikganj-3), Akhtar Hamid Siddiqui's son Parvez Hamid Siddiqui (Naogaon-3), Mozhar Ali Pradhan's son Masud Rana (Joupurhat-1), Nurul Huda's son Tanvir Huda (Chandpur-2) and Kazi Anwar Hossain's son Kazi Nazmul Hossain Tapash (Brahmanbaria-5).
Besides, late BNP leader Fazlur Rahman Patal's wife Kamrunnahar Shirin (Natore-1) and missing Ilias Ali's wife Tahsina Rushdir Luna (Sylhet-2) also got party tickets.
BNP standing committee member Jamiruddin Sircar's son Naoshad Jamir also got nomination letter from Panchagarh-1 seat as his father opted not to be there in the race.
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’