BNP leaders discusses election issue with EU delegation
Published: 09:46 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 09:46 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leaders on Thursday evening shared their various concerns and observations over the 11th parliamentary elections with a delegation of the European Union (EU).
The three-member EU team, led by its Ambassador to Bangladesh Rensje Teerink, had around a one-hour and 45-minute meeting with the BNP leaders at the party chairperson's Gulshan office.
The two other members of the EU delegation are election experts David Noel Ward and Eirini-Maria Gounari.
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, standing committee members Dr Abdul Moyeen Khan, Nazrul Islam Khan, Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury, organising secretary Shama Obaid and executive committee member Tabith Awal were, among others, present at the meeting.
However, there was no briefing from any side about the meeting.
Contacted, a BNP leader who was present at the meeting said they shared with the EU team about their various concerns and observations over the election.
"We talked about the Election Commission's (EC's) failure to create a level-playing field, filing fictitious cases against our leaders and activists, the arrest and jailing of our leaders, including our candidates, the biased role of the Commission, and civil and police administrations," the BNP leader said.
He said the EU team told them that David Noel Ward and Eirini-Maria Gounari will stay in Bangladesh for 40 days to know the election situation here.
They also said they are closely following the election activities of the political parties, the EC and other stakeholders, and will submit a report to the headquarters based on their observations.
Earlier in the day, the EU delegation also had a meeting with ruling Awami League leaders.
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Trump walks out on Democrats in fury over Russia probe
- Aspirin `safe` for brain-bleed strokes
- Why N Korea called Biden an `imbecile`
- Record groundnut output makes farmers happy
- Two electrocuted in Bagerhat
- Voting on suspended 5 upazila on June 18
- Both BPL football matches end in draw
- Formation of the moon brought water to Earth
- Indo-Bangla ties to remain same whoever elected in India: Quader
- Saudi to execute 3 prominent scholars after Ramadan
- BB enhances usance period for raw materials import
- India’s EC rejects ballot tampering allegation
- US to legalize human composting
- Double duty to deject rice import
- HC for installation of fire extinguishers in all motor vehicles
- PM instructed to probe ‘fire in paddy field’
- Mashrafe leaves Dhaka to join team in England
- Shemai maker busy before Eid in Dinajpur
- Shakib reclaims top spot in ODI all-rounder rankings
- Bengal tiger number rises in Sundarbans
- Pakistani children worst affected in HIV outbreak
- Du’a of Intent to Fast and Breaking it
- `Papaya Juice` in Iftar
- UN to honor 12 Bangladeshi peacekeepers
- HC expressed anger over Greenline’s apathy
- Six dead in Indonesia post-election unrest
- Highest power generation recorded
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader returns home this evening
- Quader to join his office today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- President reaches London
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Tk 76 lakh needed for testing Wasa water
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Today’s sports on TV
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed like mother: Quader
- Saudi Arabia to provide PR green card