BNP gets back candidates in four constituencies
EC hears 100 petitions, cleared 56 candidates for polls
Published: 03:37 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 03:46 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP has got back their single candidates in four constituencies --Bagura-7, Jamalpur-4, Manikganj-2 and Dhaka-1 - after the Election Commission cleared its aspirants' candidature for the parliamentary seats after hearing their petitions.
The Commission, the appellate authority, started its three-day hearing at 10 am on Thursday over petitions filed against the decision of the returning officers over the rejection and acceptance of nomination papers in different constituencies
Now the BNP's valid contestants for the four constituencies are Morshed Milton for Bagura-7, Faridul Kabir Talukder (Shamim) for Jamalpur-4, Abidur Rahman Khan for Manikganj-2 and Khandaker Abu Ashfaq of Dhaka-1.
Ruling Awami League fielded no candidate for 36 constituencies, while BNP for five parliamentary seats in the 11th national election slated for December 30.
During Sunday's scrutiny of nomination papers by the returning officers, all BNP aspirants lost their candidature in six constituencies ---- Sunamganj-3, Manikganj-2, Jamalpur-4, Pabna-1, Bagura-7 and Dhaka-1, while AL aspirants in three constituencies - --Kurigram-4, Satkhira-1 and Narayanganj-3.
As of 2 pm, the EC, headed by Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda, heard some 100 petitions at the Nirbachan Bhaban in the city.
Of the petitions, the EC cleared the candidature of 56 contestants, including BNP candidates Golam Maula Rony of Patuakhali-3 and Morshed Milton of Bagura-7.
However, the EC kept its decisions pending over 5-10 other petitions.
Among others who got back their candidatures with the EC's order include BNP contestants Tamij Uddin of Dhaka-20 and Major (retd) Akhteruzzaman of Kishoreganj-2 Abdul Majid for Jhenaidah-2, Mohammad Shahjahan for Patuakhali-3, Abdul Kaiyum Chowdhury for Sylhet-3, Fazlur Rahman for Joypurhat, Hasadul Islam for Pabna-3, Ainul Haque for Sirajganj-3, Joynal Abedin for Mymensingh-7, AKM Mukhlesur Rahman for Sherpur-2, Selim Bhuiyan for Dhaka-5, Tozammel Haque for Manikganj-1, Ahammad Taibur Rahman for Mymensingh-3, Abu Asif Ahmed for Brahmanbaria-2, Syed Abu Bakar Siddique for Dhaka-14, BNP candidates Abdul Khaleque for Kurigram-3, Nurul Amin for Chattogram-1, Mostafa Kamal Pasha for Chattogram-3, Prof M Yunus for Cumilla-5.
Besides, other valid candidates declared by the EC include Sumon Sanyamat for Patuakhali-1, Afsar Ali for Satkhira-2, Jahirul Islam Mintu for Madaripur-1 , Mahbub Alam and Joynal Abedin for Gazipur-2, Jasmine Noor Baby for Brahmanbaria-6, Mustafa Selim for Rangpur-4, SM Shafiqul Alam for Khulna-6, Jubair Ahmed for Habiganj-1, Abdullah Al Helal for Brahmanbaria-3, Abu Bakar Siddique for Mymensingh-2, Sulaiman Khan Rabbani for Habiganj-4, Alauddin Mridha for Natore-4, Yunus Ali for Kurigram-4, Anisuzzaman for Barishal-2, Kamruzzaman Swadhin for Jhenaidah-3, KM Mujibul Haque for Cumilla-3, Foyzul Munir Chowdhury for Sylhet-5, Abdul Mannan for Jhenaidah-4, Syed Anwar Ahammad Liton for Brahmanbaria-3, Mamunur Rashid for Brahmanbaria-5 and Zakir Hossain for Dhaka-14, Mahfuzar Rahman for Kurigram-4, Mokhlesur Rahman for Brahmanbaria-2, Mahbub Alam for Lakshmipur-1, Niamul Bashir for Chandpur-5, Ashraf Uddin for Brahmanbaria-2,
The EC kept its decisions pending over the candidatures of BNP candidates Mir Mohammad Nasir for Chattogram-5, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan for Khagrachhari, Towhidul Islam for Panchagar-1 and AKM Mahbubur Rahman for Bogura-6.
Some 160 petitions will be disposed of on Thursday maintaining the serials of the appeals while 150 on Friday and the remaining 233 will be sorted out on Saturday.
A total of 543 petitions were filed with the Election Commission within stipulated three days till Wednesday challenging the decisions of returning officers over the rejection and acceptance of nomination papers submitted by aspirants to contest the next national election.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized