BNP gets back candidates in four constituencies
EC hears 100 petitions, cleared 56 candidates for polls
Published: 03:37 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 03:46 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP has got back their single candidates in four constituencies --Bagura-7, Jamalpur-4, Manikganj-2 and Dhaka-1 - after the Election Commission cleared its aspirants' candidature for the parliamentary seats after hearing their petitions.
The Commission, the appellate authority, started its three-day hearing at 10 am on Thursday over petitions filed against the decision of the returning officers over the rejection and acceptance of nomination papers in different constituencies
Now the BNP's valid contestants for the four constituencies are Morshed Milton for Bagura-7, Faridul Kabir Talukder (Shamim) for Jamalpur-4, Abidur Rahman Khan for Manikganj-2 and Khandaker Abu Ashfaq of Dhaka-1.
Ruling Awami League fielded no candidate for 36 constituencies, while BNP for five parliamentary seats in the 11th national election slated for December 30.
During Sunday's scrutiny of nomination papers by the returning officers, all BNP aspirants lost their candidature in six constituencies ---- Sunamganj-3, Manikganj-2, Jamalpur-4, Pabna-1, Bagura-7 and Dhaka-1, while AL aspirants in three constituencies - --Kurigram-4, Satkhira-1 and Narayanganj-3.
As of 2 pm, the EC, headed by Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda, heard some 100 petitions at the Nirbachan Bhaban in the city.
Of the petitions, the EC cleared the candidature of 56 contestants, including BNP candidates Golam Maula Rony of Patuakhali-3 and Morshed Milton of Bagura-7.
However, the EC kept its decisions pending over 5-10 other petitions.
Among others who got back their candidatures with the EC's order include BNP contestants Tamij Uddin of Dhaka-20 and Major (retd) Akhteruzzaman of Kishoreganj-2 Abdul Majid for Jhenaidah-2, Mohammad Shahjahan for Patuakhali-3, Abdul Kaiyum Chowdhury for Sylhet-3, Fazlur Rahman for Joypurhat, Hasadul Islam for Pabna-3, Ainul Haque for Sirajganj-3, Joynal Abedin for Mymensingh-7, AKM Mukhlesur Rahman for Sherpur-2, Selim Bhuiyan for Dhaka-5, Tozammel Haque for Manikganj-1, Ahammad Taibur Rahman for Mymensingh-3, Abu Asif Ahmed for Brahmanbaria-2, Syed Abu Bakar Siddique for Dhaka-14, BNP candidates Abdul Khaleque for Kurigram-3, Nurul Amin for Chattogram-1, Mostafa Kamal Pasha for Chattogram-3, Prof M Yunus for Cumilla-5.
Besides, other valid candidates declared by the EC include Sumon Sanyamat for Patuakhali-1, Afsar Ali for Satkhira-2, Jahirul Islam Mintu for Madaripur-1 , Mahbub Alam and Joynal Abedin for Gazipur-2, Jasmine Noor Baby for Brahmanbaria-6, Mustafa Selim for Rangpur-4, SM Shafiqul Alam for Khulna-6, Jubair Ahmed for Habiganj-1, Abdullah Al Helal for Brahmanbaria-3, Abu Bakar Siddique for Mymensingh-2, Sulaiman Khan Rabbani for Habiganj-4, Alauddin Mridha for Natore-4, Yunus Ali for Kurigram-4, Anisuzzaman for Barishal-2, Kamruzzaman Swadhin for Jhenaidah-3, KM Mujibul Haque for Cumilla-3, Foyzul Munir Chowdhury for Sylhet-5, Abdul Mannan for Jhenaidah-4, Syed Anwar Ahammad Liton for Brahmanbaria-3, Mamunur Rashid for Brahmanbaria-5 and Zakir Hossain for Dhaka-14, Mahfuzar Rahman for Kurigram-4, Mokhlesur Rahman for Brahmanbaria-2, Mahbub Alam for Lakshmipur-1, Niamul Bashir for Chandpur-5, Ashraf Uddin for Brahmanbaria-2,
The EC kept its decisions pending over the candidatures of BNP candidates Mir Mohammad Nasir for Chattogram-5, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan for Khagrachhari, Towhidul Islam for Panchagar-1 and AKM Mahbubur Rahman for Bogura-6.
Some 160 petitions will be disposed of on Thursday maintaining the serials of the appeals while 150 on Friday and the remaining 233 will be sorted out on Saturday.
A total of 543 petitions were filed with the Election Commission within stipulated three days till Wednesday challenging the decisions of returning officers over the rejection and acceptance of nomination papers submitted by aspirants to contest the next national election.
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- Fire at Chawkbazar plastic factory; burnt 10, injured 39
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Australian minister Karin Kneissl calls on President
- We`re `well on our way` to discover Alien Life: NASA Chief
- BCL, JCD didn’t collect form yet
- Beach nobody can touch
- Women MP’s pay tribute to Bangabandhu
- Build country with Ekushey spirit: PM
- Putin warns US with new missiles
- Solari and Florentino Perez meet for over two hours
- ‘Barnamalar Michhil’ on screen for spell aware
- Ctg port ranks 70th among world’s 100 top ports
- N Korea`s US envoy arrives in Hanoi
- Most clean air in Barishal city
- Krishi Bank`s 6 ex-officials sent to jail
- College girl abducted in Companiganj
- 5 burnt as bus catches fire in Dhanmondi
- Three MPs quit Tory party
- Tisha to chat with audience tonight
- ‘Demand for Jamaat’s apology is rational’
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak
- Civilians evacuated from last IS enclave
- 600 students got Schoolbag in Thakurgaon
- Niko graft hearing March 3
- May heads back to Brussels
- Trump to sell Saudi Arabia Nucl Tech
- Jordan demand expulsion of Israeli envoy
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Barrister Razzaq resigns from Jamaat
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- Man killed in truck-pickup collision in Malibag
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan