BNP, its alliance heavyweights who lose nomination battle
Published: 07:48 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 07:52 PM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Many candidates of BNP and its alliance partners, including Khaleda Zia and many other front-ranking leaders, were declared invalid on Sunday by the Election Commission during scrutiny.
They include BNP Vice-chairmen Morshed Khan, Mir Nasir and Giasuddin Quader Chowdhury, BNP chairperson's adviser Amanullah Aman, Krishak Sramik Janata League (KSJL) president Abdul Kader Siddiqui, ex-minister Barrister Aminul Haque, former Finance Minister Shah AMS Kibria's son and Gano Forum runner Reza Kibria and Golam Maula Rony, who recently joined BNP.
In Dhaka, the returning officer declared BNP leader Amamnullah Aman's nomination illegal for Dhaka-2 constituency as he was convicted in a corruption case.
Besides, the nominations of BNP's Dhaka-6 candidate and ex-Mayor Sadek Hossain Khoka's son Ishraque Hossain, Dhaka-1 runner Khandaker Abu Ashfaq and Dhaka-20 contender Sultan Ahmed were also revoked.
In Tangail, the nomination papers of KSJL chief Abdul Kader Siddiqui for Tangail-4 and Tangail-8 constituencies were rejected on charge of loan default, said returning officer Shahidul Islam.
Besides, the nominations two BNP runners -- Fakir Mahbub Anam Swapan and ex-state minister Nur Mohammad Kahn -- for Tangail-1 and Tangail-6 seats respectively were also declared invalid on charge of loan default.
In Chattogram, the returning officer cancelled the nomination of BNP leader and former Foreign Minister Morshed Khan for Chattogram-8 constituency on charge of not clearing the electricity bill.
The returning officer also rejected the nominations of Giasuddin Quader Chowdhury for Chattogram-2 and Chattogram-7 while his son Samir Quader Chowdhury for Chattogram-6 due to loan default.
The nominations of BNP candidates Mir Nasirand his son Mir Helal for Chattogram-5, BNP joint secretary general Aslam Chowdhury for Chattogram-4 and Mostafa Kamal Pasha for Chattogram-3 were also annulled on charge of loan default.
In Patuakhali, the nomination of former Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony for Patuakhali-3 seat was cancelled as he did not put his signature on the affidavit.
On November 26, Rony joined BNP consciously deserting his party Awami League. Later, he received the BNP nomination letter for contesting the general election from Patuakhali-3.
In Habiganj, the returning officer cancelled the nomination of Gano Forum candidate Reza Kibria for Habiganj-1 constituency due to loan default.
InNatore, returning officer Shah Reaz turned down the nomination of BNP's organising secretary Ruhul Quddus Talukder Dulu for Natore-2 seat as he was convicted in two cases.
However, his wife Sabina Yesmin's candidature in the same constituency has been declared valid.
Besides, Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Khan's nomination for Natore-4 seat was rejected by the returning officer.
In Rajshahi, the returning officer annulled the nomination papers of former BNP minister Barrister Aminul Haquefor Rajshahi-1.
In Kishoreganj, the nomination of BNP's Kishoreganj-2 candidate Maj (retd) Akhtaruzzaman was cancelled on charge of loan default.
Besides, nominations ofBNP's four other candidates - M Shariful Islam and Khaled Saifullah (Kishoreganj-1), Saiful Islam Sumon(Kishoreganj-3) and Suranjan Gosh (Kishoreganj-4) -- were also cancelled.
Meanwhile, BNP alleged that the returning officer rejected the nomination papers of its four aspirants in Manikganj district questioning the authenticity of Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir's signature during the scrutiny.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia cannot contest the 11th parliamentary elections as the Election Commission on Sunday ditched her all the three nomination papers filed for contesting the polls from Feni-1, Bogura-6 and Bogura-7 seats for her conviction in two graft case.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor