BNP, its alliance heavyweights who lose nomination battle
Published: 07:48 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 07:52 PM, 2 December 2018
Many candidates of BNP and its alliance partners, including Khaleda Zia and many other front-ranking leaders, were declared invalid on Sunday by the Election Commission during scrutiny.
They include BNP Vice-chairmen Morshed Khan, Mir Nasir and Giasuddin Quader Chowdhury, BNP chairperson's adviser Amanullah Aman, Krishak Sramik Janata League (KSJL) president Abdul Kader Siddiqui, ex-minister Barrister Aminul Haque, former Finance Minister Shah AMS Kibria's son and Gano Forum runner Reza Kibria and Golam Maula Rony, who recently joined BNP.
In Dhaka, the returning officer declared BNP leader Amamnullah Aman's nomination illegal for Dhaka-2 constituency as he was convicted in a corruption case.
Besides, the nominations of BNP's Dhaka-6 candidate and ex-Mayor Sadek Hossain Khoka's son Ishraque Hossain, Dhaka-1 runner Khandaker Abu Ashfaq and Dhaka-20 contender Sultan Ahmed were also revoked.
In Tangail, the nomination papers of KSJL chief Abdul Kader Siddiqui for Tangail-4 and Tangail-8 constituencies were rejected on charge of loan default, said returning officer Shahidul Islam.
Besides, the nominations two BNP runners -- Fakir Mahbub Anam Swapan and ex-state minister Nur Mohammad Kahn -- for Tangail-1 and Tangail-6 seats respectively were also declared invalid on charge of loan default.
In Chattogram, the returning officer cancelled the nomination of BNP leader and former Foreign Minister Morshed Khan for Chattogram-8 constituency on charge of not clearing the electricity bill.
The returning officer also rejected the nominations of Giasuddin Quader Chowdhury for Chattogram-2 and Chattogram-7 while his son Samir Quader Chowdhury for Chattogram-6 due to loan default.
The nominations of BNP candidates Mir Nasirand his son Mir Helal for Chattogram-5, BNP joint secretary general Aslam Chowdhury for Chattogram-4 and Mostafa Kamal Pasha for Chattogram-3 were also annulled on charge of loan default.
In Patuakhali, the nomination of former Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony for Patuakhali-3 seat was cancelled as he did not put his signature on the affidavit.
On November 26, Rony joined BNP consciously deserting his party Awami League. Later, he received the BNP nomination letter for contesting the general election from Patuakhali-3.
In Habiganj, the returning officer cancelled the nomination of Gano Forum candidate Reza Kibria for Habiganj-1 constituency due to loan default.
InNatore, returning officer Shah Reaz turned down the nomination of BNP's organising secretary Ruhul Quddus Talukder Dulu for Natore-2 seat as he was convicted in two cases.
However, his wife Sabina Yesmin's candidature in the same constituency has been declared valid.
Besides, Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Khan's nomination for Natore-4 seat was rejected by the returning officer.
In Rajshahi, the returning officer annulled the nomination papers of former BNP minister Barrister Aminul Haquefor Rajshahi-1.
In Kishoreganj, the nomination of BNP's Kishoreganj-2 candidate Maj (retd) Akhtaruzzaman was cancelled on charge of loan default.
Besides, nominations ofBNP's four other candidates - M Shariful Islam and Khaled Saifullah (Kishoreganj-1), Saiful Islam Sumon(Kishoreganj-3) and Suranjan Gosh (Kishoreganj-4) -- were also cancelled.
Meanwhile, BNP alleged that the returning officer rejected the nomination papers of its four aspirants in Manikganj district questioning the authenticity of Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir's signature during the scrutiny.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia cannot contest the 11th parliamentary elections as the Election Commission on Sunday ditched her all the three nomination papers filed for contesting the polls from Feni-1, Bogura-6 and Bogura-7 seats for her conviction in two graft case.
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Heart health: Love one you`re with
- Conduct leastwise two cases free: CJ
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- PM joins Munich Security Conference
- India warns Pakistan of `strong response`
- Trump to spend $8B for Mexico wall
- Haiti president breaks silence finally
- ‘Fagun Haway’ draws huge acclamation
- UN sought $920m for Rohingya
- Motorcyclist killed in Nanglokote road crash
- 78th birthday of Dr Wazed tomorrow
- Myanmar court sentences two to death for Muslim lawyer`s murder
- Dhaka for OIC help on Rohingya issue
- PM seeks more WHO engagement
- Facebook taps user data to defend workers from threat
- Farmers dream in coriander
- Barca extent Valverde contract until 2020
- Tea output increases 57 pc in northern districts
- Allama Shafi with helicopter in Ijtema
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Bomb-like eggplant recovered at CU
- Committee formed to celebrate Bangabandhu’s centenary
- Bangladesh brace for another trail by NZ pace
- Messi is ready for Valverde
- 3 held over Eden College`s ex-principal murder
- First lady makes Valentine’s Day art with pediatric patients
- Trump to declare emergency over Mexico border wall
- Actor Farooque injured
- Mushfiqur on the verge of making double-century
- All News »
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- AL reveals 2nd phase UZ polls candidates name
- Saraswati Puja today
- IAF Chief to visit Dhaka today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- DUCSU `election schedule` today