BGMEA polls in April
Published: 03:38 PM, 21 March 2019
After ending all the speculation, the election of garment industry owners’ organization BGMEA will be going on April 6. At first, the forum and the Sammilita Parishad decides to lead the organization’s leadership through negotiation. But another coalition named Shadhinota Parishad called for an election. In view of that, the election is going to be held in BGMEA.
In the BGMEA polls, the Forum and the Sammilita Parishad are participating as one panel and the Shadhinota Parishad is participating as another panel.
According to BGMEA sources, the last election was held in 2013. During that time, Atiqur Rahman, the mayor of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) was elected the president.
Later, the forum and the Sammilita Parishad panel formed the committee without the balloting in 2015, after two negotiations. Then, Sammilita Parishad’s Siddiqur Rahman was elected president. There was an agreement between the two panels for two terms.
According to the agreement, the president was supposed to elect from Forum in 2017. Though the term of the present committee was extended for two years, the present president extended the term for more than one and a half times in three phases.
Opposing this process, the Shadhinota Parishad formed another panel and demanded the election. But at that time the process of the intervention of the Ministry of Commerce did not proceed.
Since the establishment of the organization, the two panels- Sammilita Parishad and Forum are contesting in its election. But in the last few elections, leadership is elected through negotiation.
Sammilita Parishad and Forum Panel have been elected Dhaka North City Corporation’s Anisul Haque and the managing director of Mohammadi Group Rubana Haque as the leader through agreement.
According to the rules, general members of the Board of Directors elected 35 directors. Later, the elected directors elected a president and 7 vice-presidents. In this panel of consultations, 19 are from the forum and 16 from the Sammilita Parishad.
On the other hand, Jahangir Alam has been elected leader of the Shadinota Parishad panel. 18 people are competing from this panel.
Shadinota Parishad leader Jahangir Alam told Daily Bangladesh, “We wanted an election and took part in the election to return the voting rights of BGMEA members.”
Referring to the responsibility of the elected representatives, he said that he is campaigning accordingly, going to the door of the voters. “We want to make BGMEA as a more dynamic organization.”
Meanwhile, forum leader and former president of BGMEA, Anwar-ul-Alam Chowdhury Parvez told Daily Bangladesh, “There is no apathy about the elections. We are working together (Forum and Sammilita Parishad) to face various challenges in the garment sector. In the same continuation, on April 6, we gave a panel coordinately. Hope this panel will win.”
The number of voters in the organization's election is 1,955. Among them 1,597 people in Dhaka. The remaining 358 people in Chattogram.
Former BTMA president Jahangir Alamin will be the chairman of the Board formed on January 5 in the election management. The other two members are MCCI President Nihad Kabir and representative of Chittagong-based organization ASM Nayeem.
Bangladesh Employers Federation chairman Kamran T Rahman has been named the chairman of the election appeal board.
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- Asghar, Hamid included in AFG World Cup squad
- Worsen condition of comedians
- Magical Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair, Skin & Health
- Two Rohingya drug traders killed in gunfight
- College admission begins from May 12
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- 19 killed in Colombia mudslide
- Google celebrates Earth Day with Doodle
- Heat wave may continue
- Shahenur, torched by husband, dies
- Padma Bridge: 11th span to be installed tomorrow
- Curfew lifted after Sri Lankan bombings
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Bangladesh, Brunei ink 7 instruments
- 4 kg gold recovered from Dhaka Airport toilet
- Bangladeshi youth gunned down by BSF
- Two killed in gas explosion, wall blown away
- Comedian wins Ukrainian presidency by landslide
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- New identity of Porimoni
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims