BD researchers discover new frog species of thumb-size
Published: 08:30 PM, 3 March 2020 Updated: 08:30 PM, 3 March 2020
Photo courtesy: Hasan Al Razi Chayan; Photo taken from Daily Star
Scientists have discovered a minikin frog species that size only a thumb means it can easily sit on a thumb! Recently, a group of researchers has determined the presence of such frogs which was named Raorchestes longchuanensis.
Hasan Al Razi Chayan and Marzan Maria, two young researchers from Jagannath University, discovered the frog. They conducted the study under the guidance and direction of Sabir Bin Muzaffar, a biology professor at the University of United Arab Emirates — reports Daily Star.
The research team went to different forests of Bangladesh last year and discovered this new species of frog – although it was not new to science. However, it is the 50th record breed of animal in the country. Although this species of frog was found in China, it was first seen in Bangladesh.
Researchers, however, have not been able to find out exactly how many Raorchestes longchuanensis exist in this country due to their small size. They also have the ability to disguise their color, which can be ignored by anyone. As a result of their camouflaging skill and insect-like size, the exact figures did not match.
From April to May last year, researchers collected samples of small frogs from Adampur Reserve Forest and Lawachara National Park. After conducting genetic tests and observing hundreds of scientific papers, researchers realize that this little frog is completely new and one of the smallest species of frog species.
Researchers also conducted surveys in five forests in the country last year to look for potential new data. Frogs of the species of Raorchestes are found in the Lawachara, Satchari, Rema-Kalenga, Adampur and Latitilla forests.
The team completed writing a detailed scientific article on the discovery of this frog and made public on the last week. This paper on frogs will be published soon in the famous American journal ZooKeys that covering many articles including zoological taxonomy, phylogeny, and biogeography.
Researchers have now decided to conduct more extensive research to determine the natural history and ecological significance of this frog species. They came at a time when this wildlife is in the midst of extinction. However, this discovery is expected to prevent extinction.
On the other hand, its information will be memorable for research to protect this endangered and extinct wildlife. We should all come forward to protect forests and protect wildlife.
- India, Pakistan face the worst locust attack in decades
- Coronavirus deaths toll surpass 368,000 globally
- Germany has passed test so far: Angela Merkel
- 5 more test COVID-19 positive in Muksudpur
- 12 houses disappeared in Sandha River’s erosion
- Air India Delhi-Moscow flight returns midway as pilot has COVID-19
- killed Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Policeman dies at CMCH
- Councilor who buried 61 bodies contracts COVID-19
- West Indies approve Test tour of England
- Mobile court to continue to enforce hygiene rules
- Full genome sequencing of coronavirus completed in Bangladesh
- Israel detains Imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque
- PM for engaging local public representatives to stem COVID-19
- UN issues commemorative stamps on Bangabandhu
- ‘All measures taken to ensure passengers safety at airport’
- Dhaka-bound passengers’ rush in Daulatdia
- COVID-19 cases rise to 855 in Cumilla
- Stations where trains will stop; how to journey
- BRAC officer killed in Khulna road crash
- CMP plasma bank can save thousands of lives
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- BPWA demands withdrawal of bus fare hike
- Crime and traffic management being streamlined
- 18 judges sworn in by video conference
- 12 instructions of ministry over health rules
- SC to continue virtual hearing till June 15
- ECB seeks law for coronavirus substitute
- ‘Seems like BNP leaders appointed as WHO’s advisors’
- IMF approves $732m zero-interest loan for Bangladesh
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- 20 die in 24 hrs, 1873 new infected
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Japanese wrestler Hana Kimura dies
- Offices resume from May 31
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Far-right protesters rally across Spain over coronavirus
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Statue in the name of Allah-Muhammad (PBUH)
- It was a horrible night: Rukmini
- 2 miraculous survivors in Pakisani plane crash
- Power bill deadline extended
- What to do if you miss the Eid prayer
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow