Solidarity with Palestinian people
BD expressed commitment for independent Palestine
Published: 05:36 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 05:40 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Bangladesh has reaffirmed its commitment to the inalienable rights of the people of Palestine, saying that it supports the rights of the Palestinian people to self-determination and their long struggle for peace and justice.
“Our unwavering solidarity with the Palestinian people and their legitimate aspiration for an independent State of Palestine, on the basis of the 1967 borders and with East Jerusalem as its capital, is derived from our constitutional obligation,” said Bangladesh deputy permanent representative to the United Nations (UN) Tareq Md Ariful Islam.
He said speaking at a program organized by UN General Assembly at its headquarters in New York on the auspicious occasion of ‘International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People’, said a media release received here today.
Tareq Md Ariful Islam said Bangladesh supports the rights of the Palestinian people to self-determination and their long struggle for peace and justice.
Bangladesh condemns the heinous attacks on the people of Palestine, and denounces the illegal settlements, including the expansion plans, and any other action by the occupying force, that obstructs negotiations towards a viable two-State solution, he added.
“The human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territories remains a grave concern for the world community. The foreign occupation that has subjected the Palestinian people to gross and systematic human rights violations and untold pain and suffering remains one of the root causes of conflicts and other scourges around the world,” he added.
Bangladesh has urged nations concerned to prevail upon Israel to immediately halt its illegal settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, lift the blockade in the Gaza Strip, and put an end to all forms of occupation and violence.
“We remain concerned over the total disregard by Israel to comply with the provisions of the Security Council Resolution 2234 (2016). The immediate priority must be given to ensuring international protection for the Palestinian people suffering for decades from the occupying power’s policy of collective punishment,” he said.
Bangladesh continues to insist on the lifting of the illegal Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip, which has created a dire humanitarian situation, he said, adding that provocative policies and legal measures concerning the Occupied East Jerusalem and the Holy Al Aqsa Mosque must be reversed in reference to relevant UN Resolutions and international public opinion.
“We reiterate this Assembly’s assertion that any decisions and actions which purport to have altered the character, status or demographic composition of the Holy City of Jerusalem have no legal effect, are null and void and must be rescinded in compliance with relevant resolutions of theSecurity Council,” he added.
“We reaffirm the need for ensuring enhanced, predictable and sustainable funding for the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA). We call upon the Member States in a position to do so to enable UNRWA to discharge its mandate in a meaningful manner, he said.
He said Bangladesh believes that for achieving a lasting peace for the people and the state of Palestine, timely implementation of the relevant UN resolutions, the Road Map, the Arab Peace Plan and the efforts made by the Quartet is of paramount importance.
“We urge all concerned to be pragmatic in their approach and walk together, hand-in-hand, for the establishment of an independent homeland for the Palestinian people where they can live in peace and in dignity side by side with their neighbors,” he added.
- 21 lakhs SIMs closed in midnight last
- 45 Bangladeshis rescued in Iraq
- Security heavy as Sri Lanka warns of further attacks
- Mother, son electrocuted in Chuadanga
- Taylor Swift to release new song, music video ‘ME!’
- Two pirates killed in Kutubdia gunfight
- Mother, grandmother hacked to death by drug addict son
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic today
- World Intellectual Property Day today
- Bangladesh faces Kyrgyzstan this evening
- PM to meet press on Brunei visit today
- Drug trader killed in Kushtia gunfight
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Woe to 6 upazilas for Rangamati launch shutdown