BCB still optimistic about SL tour...

Dhaka, Saturday   31 October 2020

BCB still optimistic about SL tour

 Sports Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 07:37 PM, 26 September 2020   Updated: 08:48 PM, 26 September 2020

BCB cricket operations Chairman Akram Khan

BCB cricket operations Chairman Akram Khan

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is still optimistic about the tour of Sri Lanka. However, BCB cricket operations chairman Akram Khan confirmed that the Tigers are not going to Sri Lanka at the scheduled time.

The Bangladesh team was scheduled to leave the country tomorrow for the Sri Lanka tour. But as no agreement has yet been made on the quarantine issue, Akram has confirmed that the national team is not leaving the country tomorrow for Sri Lanka as it was scheduled.

Players have been given a three-day break from their training camp that started last Sunday, he added.

“We had a flight for Sri Lanka tomorrow but we can’t go now. We discussed our plan with the coach, selectors, and CEO. We took a three-day break. After the break, Bangladesh will start practicing again. Hopefully, we’ll get a revised guideline from Sri Lanka within two-three days,” Akram Khan said.

Players will not be able to stay with family during the three-day break. However, after returning, all the players will return to training following a coronavirus test with the BCB re-creating a bio-secure bubble for the camp.

The BCB is hopeful to go on Sri Lanka tour next month. “If everything goes well, we hope to go on the tour sometime between the 7th and 10th of the next month. Since they were supposed to have a T20 tournament, it is not happening on time, so both of us have time,” BCB cricket operations chairman said.

While BCB is hopeful about the tour, SLC CEO Ashley de Silva on Thursday said that Bangladesh needs to follow the health guidelines provided by the Sri Lanka COVID-19 Task Force, otherwise the proposed three-match Test series could be postponed.

Akram said they are yet to get any official statement from SLC.

Akram said, “We have not received any official letter or mail. If nothing comes officially, I can’t say anything about what is happening outside.”