Awami League threatens to take legal action for legal notice
Published: 08:45 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Ruling Awami League on Wednesday threatened to go for legal action if the legal notice sent by Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia to prime minister Sheikh Hasina is not withdrawn.
The threat came from a press conference held at the election conducting office of the ruling party at Dhanmondi in Dhaka.
AL presidium member and agriculture minister Matia Chowdhury and AL publicity and publication secretary Hasan Mahmud addressed the press conference.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia had sent a legal notice to prime minister Sheikh Hasina demanding an apology for making ‘malicious and defamatory’ remarks about her reported assets abroad.
On behalf of the BNP chief, her counsel and BNP joint secretary general barrister Mahbubuddin Khokon sent the notice by post on Tuesday.
Matia Chowdhury said their party will face the matter legally as Khaleda Zia sent a legal notice.
She also said AL never publicises anything without having proof. “Awami League never speaks about baseless matter.”
Hasan Mahmud said Khaleda sent the legal notice at a time when the corruption issue of herself and her family members are hitting headlines both at home and abroad. “This is just to divert the matter,” he said.
Hasan Mahmud told the press conference that there are allegations Khaleda and her family members siphoned off USD 12 billion to 12 countries.
Accusing Khaleda of whitening black money, he urged her to apologise to people for corruption and siphoning off money.
Responding to a query, Hasan Mahmud said AL has evidence about the investment by Khaleda and her family members in some Middle Eastern countries. “Various online media have run stories about that,” he added.
About Khaleda’s legal notice, Hasan Mahmud said they did not get it yet. They came to know about it from media reports.
- HC seeks SP’s remarks over Minni’s confession
- T-Aman seedbed prepared on 100 acres in Gaibandha
- Man dies of dengue in Mymensingh
- Vegetable vendor dies of dengue in Khulna
- Fish trader killed in Mirpur road crash
- ‘No existence of media owners without journalists’
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Rain may increase gradually in next 72hrs
- Rains lash India`s northern states, kills 30
- Cabinet’s meeting after 7wks
- ‘Allahar Dal’s ameer among 4 ‘militants’ held
- Major General dismissed for sexual harassment
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna