Awami League threatens to take legal action for legal notice
Published: 08:45 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Ruling Awami League on Wednesday threatened to go for legal action if the legal notice sent by Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia to prime minister Sheikh Hasina is not withdrawn.
The threat came from a press conference held at the election conducting office of the ruling party at Dhanmondi in Dhaka.
AL presidium member and agriculture minister Matia Chowdhury and AL publicity and publication secretary Hasan Mahmud addressed the press conference.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia had sent a legal notice to prime minister Sheikh Hasina demanding an apology for making ‘malicious and defamatory’ remarks about her reported assets abroad.
On behalf of the BNP chief, her counsel and BNP joint secretary general barrister Mahbubuddin Khokon sent the notice by post on Tuesday.
Matia Chowdhury said their party will face the matter legally as Khaleda Zia sent a legal notice.
She also said AL never publicises anything without having proof. “Awami League never speaks about baseless matter.”
Hasan Mahmud said Khaleda sent the legal notice at a time when the corruption issue of herself and her family members are hitting headlines both at home and abroad. “This is just to divert the matter,” he said.
Hasan Mahmud told the press conference that there are allegations Khaleda and her family members siphoned off USD 12 billion to 12 countries.
Accusing Khaleda of whitening black money, he urged her to apologise to people for corruption and siphoning off money.
Responding to a query, Hasan Mahmud said AL has evidence about the investment by Khaleda and her family members in some Middle Eastern countries. “Various online media have run stories about that,” he added.
About Khaleda’s legal notice, Hasan Mahmud said they did not get it yet. They came to know about it from media reports.
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- Indian entrepreneurs urged to invest in Bangladesh
- Britain votes in ‘Brexit election’
- BB new Executive Director Kazi Enayet Hossain
- 1 killed in Munshiganj wall collapse
- Twitter backs overhaul of social media to stem disinformation
- 2 killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Mashrafe focuses on next game
- 1 dies as workers continue hunger strike
- ‘Corruption in education sector will be eliminated’
- ‘No event under open sky on 31st night’
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- Dhaka set 135 for Rajshahi
- Ali Ajgar’s generosity for poor people
- Rain suspends play in Rawalpindi Test
- Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe